Rubicon is on it's way.. Upgrade suggestions? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:53 PM

Re: Rubicon is on it\'s way.. Upgrade suggestions?

Besides the skids that come with the various long arm lift kits, there are three popular aftermarket skid plate manufacturers out there, Nth Degree Mobility, Jeep Medic and 33 Engineering. The Jeep Medic and the 33 Engineering require a 1"body lift. Nth Degree makes two skids, the flat skid (frame to frame) requires a body lift and the 1.25" drop skid does not need a body lift but requires you make a small dimple in the floor.
www.nthdegreemobility.com
www.jeepmedicfabrication.com
www.33engineering.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Don't have enough --- money for a second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tater, I don't get it.. Where did this come from? Sorry if I'm missing it, but it has been a long day...

RRich, where did you move them to under the hood?? Is there the typical room under the battery tray? The last I remember, it is pretty packed in there..

Justin
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Something just doesn't add up here.......
Congrat's, though.
And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of upgrades.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try to help here alittle....

1. You have the $$$ to buy a Rubicon.
2. You want to put more $$$ into it.

[img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Good Luck,

Dale [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

No I don't have enough for a Rubicon, but after paying Chrysler a small wad of cash every month for the next 4 years It'll be all mine [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Yes... Isn't that the first thing that starts going through your head when you get a new vehicle.. How do I keep this from looking like every other <insert make> <insert model> that is on the road today (read how much will it cost me to…).

I think there is nothing worse than having a vehicle, and then having the EXACT SAME vehicle pull up beside you.

I believe that all car manufacturers should have a book of colours, and when I come int the stealership I can point out colour 16003 (it just so happens that this is my favorite colour) and they will paint my new $40,000 vehicle that colour just for me. This choice of 6 or 8 colours just doesn’t do the trick when they are manufacturing 10s of thousands (or more) of the same body style.

I had to spend a couple weeks simply deciding which colour I hated the least! Actually it wasn't that bat, I was just POed when I found out they don't have the 'Intense Blue' anymore.. I am really liking the Shale Green the more I look at it (Someone else’s green jeep in a picture)..

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.. Thanks for listening..

Justin.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

Justin,

Last night I looked under the hood of mine for a relocation area for the actuators, and if you look right under the master cylinder, there is a plate already mounted there (at least there is on mine), that would make a perfect location for them.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Way Outta Control

That plate under the MC -- I've been saving that small space for a second battery - haven't gotten around to it yet - but there are some pretty powerful small tractor batteries that should fit. It may come in real handy someday to have an extra shot at starting.
Right now I've got that space used for the control box for my Variable MAP sensor "boost" experiment. But soon it'll get the battery.

There's room on the otherside too if the stock air cleaner box is removed in favor of a better breathing system. But that side now has another compressor for my tires too. I've been saving that area for a future project - a converted 2nd alternator for welding -- and a Sanden compressor.

Another viable place for the locker compressors is under that MC plate - bottom side - tight, hard to reach, but do-able too. I wouldn't want them there if a small battery gets put above though.

The place I used -- left splash panel by the cruise control - about 1/2 way between radiator and firewall. I managed squeeze in a VAIR compressor and the 2 locker compressors - it's tight but doable. I mounted all 3 on a flat plate, then mounted the plate on the splash panel.

Get creative -- it's surprising how much room's still left with proper planning. Just remember to not restrict airflow around the engine - the fan pulls cool air in through the radiator, but that air still has to be able to get out for more cool air to come in.

I'll try to take a few pics of the compressors and underside today.

I know what you mean by unique - but that's not really important to me. It ends up "unique" anyway. To look and perform like everyone else's is easy - just use store-bought products just like everyone else. Bumpers, rock rails, all kinds of "stuff" is available. For some reason very few store-bought things meet with my satisfaction - so I usually just make whatever I want anyway. If I do just buy something, it usually gets modified beyond recognition anyway. But that's just me.

Funny, I bought the Rubi so I didn't have to modify or work on it much - I wanted something I could just jump in and go - I've got many other projects begging to be finished -- but they've taken a back seat so far.
Oh well, guess that's life.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 09:37 AM

I think there is nothing worse than having a vehicle, and then having the EXACT SAME vehicle pull up beside you.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO!!!! That statement and your handle, Carbon Copy has me rolling!!

This is not a slam but I could not resist
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Yah GP'n, I guesse the handle does sort of negate the statement trying to be made.. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] Good observation..

And RRich, thanks for the info, I'll have to take a good look around under the hood when I get it (Hopefully tommorow, or Friday)..

One last question: How are the Goodyear MT's holding up for everybody.. I have heard from a few of people that they tend to wear down VERY quickly..

Thanks.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Way Outta Control

My original stock set of the MTR's with 9000 miles on them just barely had lost the little mold nubs. They looked almost new.
My 35's have about 6000 miles now - seem to be wearing a little faster. But they have lots of tread to wear off, should last a lng time.
The problem I have is they are on Crome plated aluminum rims - no good! They kept getting out of balance - marked the rims - found every off road trip caused them to spin on the rim - throwing balance way off - even without airing down much they'd slip.
I even tried using the tar-like bead sealer - helped a little, but still slipped -- "less worse." I haven't put them on yet, but I took new steel rims, scratched up the bead area, and made them rust on the bead area. The rough rust and bead sealer may stop them from slipping -- else they'll get screws.
I think part of the reason they slip is the sidewalls are so stiff, and part's the slippery crome.
Other than that, I like the MTR's - got them on a couple more rigs too - they work well except in mud.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

Don't have enough --- money for a second.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did this come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see you post that often, so I checked your profile to see who the lucky dog was getting the Rubicon. Then I saw that you had that for your secondary off-road vehicle.
Sorry for the hi-jack. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode