O/T Ford 460 help - oil into intake manifold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

O/T Ford 460 help - oil into intake manifold

I sold a friend my father's <nobr>Ford</nobr> <nobr>Van</nobr> with a 460 which I had rebuilt a number of years ago. I had a good shop do all the machining and I did the assembly. During a trip to mexico (from Canada, towing an airstream trailer) some work was done on the motor and a mechanic changed the intake manifold gasket. I wasn't there, so I have no idea what exactly was done or why. My friend has had the motor for a few years now and has pulled it from the van. He removed the heads and intake manifold and discovered signs of leakage into intake the manifold. I assume this is from the crankcase /lifter galley. He replaced the intake manifold with an aluminum intake and reassembled the motor with new gaskets. He says the motor started drawing oil into the intake from the lifter galley. He pulled the motor again (this time from his formerly 4 cyl <nobr>mustang</nobr>) and says the oil leak was terrible. He replaced the gasket with a steel intake gasket. It's still leaking, almost as badly. Any ideas what could be wrong here? I believe the heads were milled slightly to clean them up, but no major change in height. The block was not decked. It was good for years without this problem being apparent. I'm at a loss to explain why there is so much trouble now with the oil being drawn into the intake. It never did this when I first assembled it, but the earlier work by a mechanic suggests some leak had developed in the intake. My friends work suggests this later work also leaked.

Anyone aware of some problem inherent in 460's? Or know of a special concern on reassembly that could cause this problem?

Tim

PS: A 460 really livens up a 4 cyl mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 07:20 AM
Addict

Re: O/T Ford 460 help - oil into intake manifold

I had a an F100 with a 460 years ago and your leak seems to be reminding me of something I've heard (like, use silicone in some spots as opposed to gasket). Check this site out http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/ - I have found many answers to my Ford woes there.

Good Luck!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode