MIX AND MATCH OR KEEP WHICH ONE??????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

MIX AND MATCH OR KEEP WHICH ONE???????

hey how is it going out there in jeepin world? i've asked a few ? here before and always got the best awnsers or advice. here is my new problem. i have a 78 cj7 with a 304 with automatic and quadratrac. the only problem is that the tub is pretty much shot. i found a 1983 cj7 with a straight 6 and stick shift fot only $1500. the po says it was running when he parked it and hasnt drove it since he got a new <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84767);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84767);">truck</nobr></a></nobr>.. pity. so what i need to ask is what i would be better off doing, swapping the tub to my drivetrain or use the '83 drivetrain? or just mix and macth , but what would be best for now? o yeh i have new 38" swampers that were on my rig when i bot it. which are for sale. looking to put 33" on black steel wheels.... i know a few of the members can help me out on deciding what to do..please feel free to chime in.. thansk for the help in advance. here is one for ya- [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] hope to be crawlin soon......whats is best to keep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: HELP*** WHAT TO KEEP??????

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] A 304 with an auto and a QT is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of a six with a stick and a std transfer case. The first thing that you need to do is ask yourself: "What KIND of jeep do I want?" Then when you have answered that question, go ahead and mix-n'-match until you get it. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] We have a '79 with the 304 and a QT, and we chose it intentionally so we would have the basis for building a SNOJEEP. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] For snow you need all-wheel drive with the center "open" and you can have that by using a QT with the clutches machined out of the barrel differential that is in that QT case. The six is an engine with lots of problems, but the six and the stick may be a scooch better on fuel, and that combo does have a greater potential to convert to a very low gear for rock climbing. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] For the city streets of Los Angeles, you may want to concentrate more on armour plate, bulletproof glass, and anti-theft measures like my theft-deterring fuel starvation system. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Oh, and don't forget the Colt Python .357 for the glove compartment, the Mod 1911 .45 ACP for the console pocket, and a 12 Ga sawed off pump shotgun on the floor next to your feet. That's the minimum amount of armament required for entry into the city of EL-AAAAAA.... [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Re: MIX AND MATCH OR KEEP WHICH ONE???????

bump [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 05:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Er.......ah......is that a positive response or a negative response? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Or.....did you just get victimized by a LA gang? I TOLD you that you needed more firepower...!!! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Really depends on what your going to do with it.
How much trail is it going to see?
I would stay away from the quadratrack and the I-6. (a 6 cylinder in a Jeep is like shooting trap w/ a 20 guage)
I don't know anything about the auto tranny but I would see if I could get a regular transfer case in there (Dana 300?).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

lol i got enough firepower, belive me. but just looking for help here. i was thinking to keep the 83 body, axels, x-case. and selling off whats left. good or no? i see the trails about 2 weekends a month but where do i go from here? mix and match or settle for one and ditch the other? lol note to self- dana 60's in the far future but hats where im heading... chime in and help out. thanks again guys [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Skip

Advice? As CJDave said it depends on what you want to do and where you want to go with it. Me, I'd sell the 79 and put the money towards a 4.3 vortec, what ever tranny you want (for me it would be a stick),and bigger axles with the right gear combo.
That's what I'd do, but then we all have different views.
I just moved to a TJ and my first investments are all armour and skid plates because of where and how I wheel. Lift,tires and gears are next years budget.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

well guys, the 78 goes this weekend. hate to get rid of the 304 for an I6. but its ok. the 83 has rock potential. thanks for the input. have a great week. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Old Hand

swap the 304 in place of the 258, and keep the manual trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode