Broken front spring hanger (long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Broken front spring hanger (long)

Holy crap! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Right now I'm praising the Lord for sparing my family's lives despite my incredible ignorance! He IS merciful indeed!

(Expect numerous errata... my heart is still thumping like a jackhammer after realizing the depth of my lame inattentiveness.)

If ya'll will recall, about a month ago I installed an RE 4 1/2" lift on my Scrambler... just prior to attending Camp Jeep. During or immediately thereafter, I noticed the bottom of my right front spring shackle leaning outboard. W/o much thought, I figured the bolts needed retightening, so that I did - to the point of squeezing the daylights outa the poly bushings. Still at an angle, but I was too busy to investigate further... [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] Kept driving daily, to include highspeed Interstate runs... w/ my kids no less. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]

Finally, in the last few days, I noticed the lean was really getting bad. So, this morning, after aborting a HS run 90mi away (for other reasons), I decided to go out and take some digital pix to send to RE w/ a rant asking them to replace the obviously faulty spring, and related parts. (Still blind & clueless as to my situation. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img])

Only once ready to take my pix did I finally see the real (as in REAL OBVIOUS... had I been paying attention) source of the leaning shackle:

Completely severed/seperated spring hanger... barely held in place by the edge of bumper frame bracket. Dang! How close... and how many times, did I come to death... and killing my kids?! I CANNOT BELIEVE I WAS SO DA** IGNORANT as to not notice that thing! {Even Homer S. is not this stupid!)

[Heart still thumping as hard as it was before... Gonna take a spell to get over this...)

Sooooo..... how'd I likely break that thing? (It broke in front of the two bolts holding it to frame @ the hole where the frame 'rivet' nests in.) Did both sides likely break/crack at the same time, or did they both likely break at different times/seperately? I cannot think of anything we did on the Camp Jeep trails that would've busted a spring hanger. Do these things break often in road driving &/or light trail use?

Replacement: New or is used junk yard pull okay to use? If new, any particular one I should go with? Replace both or just the busted one?

Should I replace the poly shackle bushings I squeezed the p**p out of by overtightening?

<font color="red">I'm here to tell ya, there IS a God and He is MERCIFUL to His foolish children. I count my blessings and my cup overflows... Praise Him for His goodness!</font color>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1336258-broken spring hanger.jpg (78.8 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Broken front spring hanger (long)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="blue"> Sooooo..... how'd I likely break that thing? </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

First, glad your OK. Hard to say what the outcome could have been...other than slipping outside the frame, collapsing against the fram and possibly breaking the rear hanger off *OR* slipping inside the frame a punchin a hole in something...the front axle is still connected in 3 other spots [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Second, my guess towards "why" would be 20 years of being exposed to road filth and general use. No biggy, order up a new set of hangers (Ricky's an Omix-Ada dealer or you can go big $$ elsewhere) and replace them both. While your at it, clean &amp; relube the poly bushings, but *DON'T* tighten the shackles so much. They'll NEVER flex cranked down that much!

Third, ponder the miracles that those cheesy 1/4" brackets are are that holds them on! While not quite as good as "how a PC works with all the tiny circuits &amp; traces", but should keep you amazed for another week or so1 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Fourth, hopefully you avoided sending pics of *that* to RE... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Pooh-Bah

Glad you are okay, He was definitely waiting patiently for you to find that and kept a hedge of protection around you and yours until you took the time to look. There are lots of places that sell the hangers. Might as well take this as an oppourtunity to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:25 AM

Get the upgraded ones. Look for a upgrade that has bracing that goes around each side of the rivet hole. I believe mine came from Currie or Warrior. They were dirt cheap. It has been so long ago since they were upgraded, I've forgotten which brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode