CV driveshaft or adj. upper control arms? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

CV driveshaft or adj. upper control arms?

i just put on the RE 3.5 super flex (including 1" tranny drop) on the TJ. (4.0/5spd/d44) and it now has some vibrations. i was told that the 2 options were adjustable upper control arms to change the pinion angle, or to get a cv driveshaft. what do you all recomend?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CV driveshaft or adj. upper control arms?

Sounds like you have got a pretty nice set up going on. After your lift did you install new tires? or are they still yet to come. I ask because... Could it be possibile that your Vib is coming from a tire, and not the drivshaft? Try switching the tires front to back, and see if your vib moves.
If you are sure it is the rear drive shaft then you should address it. If you do decide to go with a CV type shaft, you are going to have to address pinion angle. You new CV shaft will be happiest if the pinion is pointed directly at the output of your Transfer case.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any time you go over 3", you will never be able to adjust the pinion angle to get out the vibrations under all driving conditions.
Save youself some time and headachs....get the CV driveshaft. You will also need to get the adjustable control arms so you can point your diff so that it is inline with the driveshaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yeah i put on new 33's with the lift. but the vibe is def the drive shaft. when i push in the clutch it goes away. so you are saying that just one or the other will not help, i need both?

shawn
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need the CV driveshaft no mater what. But with the CV driveshaft, the angle of the diff needs to be inline with the driveshaft. The only way to point the diff up is by adjusting the control arms. For us guys with older jeeps using leaf springs, we have to use shims or cut the pad off and re-weld.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't know who made these images up but your driveshaft should look like one of these:

If your pinion is not pointing correctly for your application you will get vibes out of it.

You likely need to do some adjustment on your UCA's to get the pinion aimed correctly again.

OR

you could go the other direction and aim the pinion up at the t-case and get a CV shaft.

Clear as mud???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode