Dana 44 Question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Dana 44 Question?

Alright, I'm finally getting around to ordering stuff for my 44 that I have for the rear of my Zuk and I thought I would throw out a question for those of you running Dana 44's.
I'm having trouble deciding whether to run a full spool or a lockrite in the rear end? This is my daily driver so I was leaning more toward the locker but I was also told that Zuks are so light in the rearend that it wouldn't cause that much stress on the axle shafts if I ran a spool. I'm pretty sure that CJ's are a little heavier but what are your thoughts on spools verses lockers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Dana 44 Question?

Lockers are easier on your tires...
Lockers are more erratic in their on or offroad function.
Lockers are more expensive
Lockers have more parts to go bad or break on you

Spools are harder on tires
Spools are consistent in their performance and thus predictable
Spools are stronger and cheaper

It's really a personal preference in how you are going to use your vehicle.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:23 PM

i run a spool in my d44......plus my jeep is a DD............brent posted most of the pro's and cons of having one.....ill vote for getting one [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:45 PM

I run a full spool as well - axles can break...see attachment. Do not get mini spool - one exploded on a guy in Moab and took out his entire rear end. I would run the spool instead of one of those lunch box lockers - but would prefer either the Eaton E-locker,arb or lastly the ox if I wasn't so cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1335522-DSC00199.JPG (48.3 KB, 38 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 11:52 PM

If you run a full spool in a daily driver you will eat up tires,regardless of your vehicle weight,thats a fact. I wouldn`t run a spool in a DD for that reason. If it were a dedicated trail rig, I`d run a spool in the rear and an ARB up front. I have to take issue with the strength comment regarding "lunchbox" lockers. I can speak personally to the strength of the Powertrax Lockright and No-spin. I run a 35 spline No-spin in my rear D-60, 3 years on and off road, no problems. I have a 30 spline Lockright in my D-44 front. It has some history. It came in the D-44 that was in the rear of my jeep when I bought it. It was in the rear 44 2 years before I broke the carrier almost in half, the Lockright was fine. It went almost another year before I grenaded the ring and pinion sending the pinion head through the side of the housing completely destroying it, the lockright survived that also. It`s been in my D-44 front going on 2 years and is still working fine. I can`t comment on other "lunchbox" lockers, but to date I`ve not been disappointed with the Powertrax at all. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Official Historian

The problem with the "lunchbox lockers" isn't the lockers themselves. I have 2 lockrights and they are great. The limitations come in that they use the stock carriers. The tollerances on the stock carriers and the fact that they are cast is where the problems come. As long as the carrier doesn't crack, they are a very cost effective option.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:20 PM

Run a locker.

I've run both lockers and spools, and spools are worse both on the street and off.

A rear spool will wear out not only your rear tires, but the fronts as well. They load up the suspension off road which actually compromises traction, and the are murder on your rear axleshafts.

I'm actually suprised BB didn't jump all over this one, he went from a spooled 44 in the back of his 'Zuk to a locker, and would never go back.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 08:22 AM

yes, spools are gay.
i ran one for about a year and a half on the rear axle, it was a bear, turing sucked, and it torqued the hell out of my axle shafts, and the thing never saw pavment.
it bound up my axle shafts so hard that if i pulled it into my shop and jacked the rear end up, the inside tire would turn a 1/4 turn when it lifted off the ground from the shaft being so spooled up.
i noiw have a detroit, it turns MUCH tighter, and is generally better overall.
i will never run one again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode