O/T Show me your boats - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

O/T Show me your boats

Ok, I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Jeeps -- but I'm in the market for a new boat. Does anyone in here have a boat and if you do, what kind is it?! I was going to go used, but now I'm leaning towards buying new this spring.

New, Budget = 10-15K

Used, Budget = 6-10K

I'd ultimately like to end up with a 16-15 ft open bow runabout that I can spend days and weekends on the local lakes.

Thanks guys. I guess in reality everyone on here has Jeeps instead of boats, but I guess there could be some dualies [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T Show me your boats

Here is my new toy. It is a 1988 Donzi F23 center console. It has a 200 Yamaha, that pushes it around 35mph. They only made 50 of these, and the majority of the 50 have probably sunk. They had a very low transom, which allowed water to fill the deck if a wave came over the back..
This pic was taken by the previous owner, I need to get some new pics.. It is really a pretty boat (if you like yellow)..

This other is my 1972 Boston Whaler. I painted it mint green, and replaced all of the wood. Then, I put 13 coats of varnish on the wood for a nice shine...

Good luck in finding the "right" boat.
Ricky...seeya...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:01 PM

By "open bow runabout" do you mean "bowrider"?
Don't do it, man. They're a cool concept and all, but in real use that whole bowrider thing is just awkward. No one can sit up there at any real speed, and when you're hanging out at anchor you've got the helm and windscreen basically dividing the boat in two. They technically seat more people, but in practical use, any bowrider that actually has every seat taken is just plain overcrowded and probably overloaded and unsafe at any real speed.

I've always had much more fun in "center console" types (like that yellow donzi), particularly when you're talking the 16-18' range. Far more versatile.

For the record:

(I'm a windbagger)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Pooh-Bah

I have a 11 foot Cougar Cub, tunnell hull witha 25 hp Merc on it, seats two and does around 35mph with two adults.
I am looking at selling it and trying to find a a classic Chris Craft runabout in the 16-18' range that won't need too much work. I really like the look of the classic wood boats.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ricky, I swear you have more fricken' toys than a 9 year old!!! I need to come down and play with them! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

You sure you want a boat that has a tendency to sink?

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kinda like seeking out the 84 Pontiac Fiero which had the tendency to burst into flames!!

Sean
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 06:07 PM

Anyone know anything about small sailboats? I'm looking for something in the 13-16' range to have some fun with. Lazer II? Wood boats like LazyE's? What's a scow hull?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 06:36 PM

Eeboater, I think Ricky will be OK. (you might want to ask him about his boating exerience and previous jobs [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

These boats sunk because of ignorance. They have a small board that flips up to keep the sea out..No one kept them, so they had sinkage issues...
I had one of these boats brand new.. Well it wasn't mine, it was our "dinghy" for the big boat.. We towed it behind the big boat wherever we went.. I have some awesome video of it completely out of the water in some nasty seas...
This was one of the nicest 23' sized boats I have ridden in...
That's why..
eeboater...

Ricky...seeya...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Journeyman

I have a 21 foot pontoon boat. LOVE IT! It has a 65 horse motor on it, which gets it running probably about 15 mph. Not to sure, the como se llama is broken. Had 7 adults on it fishing at Roosevelt lake in Arizona. No one was stepping over each other, it had plenty of room. I have a 55 foot lb thrust electric motor for the smaller lakes on the mountain where you can't use a bigger motor. It moves it around just fine. I have a picture of it, but not sure how to post it on here. The best thing about the pontoon boat, is you aren't hurting like in those little aluminum boats after a day on the lake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode