OT '84 f250 diesel think it's worth it? Help pleas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

OT \'84 f250 diesel think it\'s worth it? Help pleas

I've found an '84 f250 4x4, 6.9 (new injectors, ip, and batteries), 4 speed, 200k, guy is asking 1200obo.

Here's what i got from a call to the owner:
it has rust in the usual places (fenders but molding is still there, brights switch, cab corrners)
dmi rear bumper
tool box
bed liner (he admited it was probably ugly under it)
brake controler
Runs strong
Doesn't leak anywhere

He said it was owned by a farmer before him who did haul with ithe bought it to drive last winter and didn't drive it much. He's had it listed since the middle of july and had a couple people call want it shiped but he's a couple hours south of me, i talked to him today and he was in sturgis and his bike just broke so he'll need some cash when he gets back and said he's negotiable.

I'm planning on going and looking at it with one of the swbbs diesel gurus so i don't buy complete junk. I'm thinking i can probably get it for 800-1000 since he wants it gone. It seems like a decent deal and truck though i havn't seen it. Right now i do have some extra cash if i bought it and could put some money into basic maintance (fluids, glow plugs, filters) and any little things it needs, find decent body parts like fenders and doors, buy some repair pannels for the cab and make it actually look decent.

What's your toughts, think it's a good idea or should i run away from it like the plague?

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:19 AM

Re: OT \'84 f250 diesel think it\'s worth it? Help p

Just remember, it's getting harder and harder to get parts for the 6.9L diesel. They were a decent engine in their day, but have been definitely superseded by the 7.3L and the new Ford Diesel.

If you are just planning on driving it until it dies, it is probably worth the $800-1000. Just remember if you have to work on the engine it's gonna cost.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:46 AM

Re: OT \'84 f250 diesel think it\'s worth it? Help pleas

Buy it, pull the axles and drivetrain to stick in your XJ.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] later you replace the 6.9 with a Hemi [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] Just kidding... hard to pass on a great deal if its really a great deal. If its been maintained you should get a lot of mileage out of that motor yet. Plus you can always drop in a new one. Make a great tow rig!

my $0.002 (pennies just aren't worth what they used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and the new Ford Diesel

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an International Diesel.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Buy it, pull the axles and drivetrain to stick in your XJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

F250 is twin traction beam with leaf springs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I do know of a 6.9 truck with no title and a blown auto for 400 i may pick up for a spare motor and little parts and sell what i don't use. Any other thoughts on this truck. The 6.9 is suposed to run for ever and isn't suposed to have the cavation issues of the 7.3.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Pooh-Bah

Just remember when you sold the rust bucket and swore you would never have another "project" truck...

...but it is a good deal and if you can keep it running and fix the body, why not?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 05:18 PM

Sharp eyed and precise as usual Will! LOL!

I said Ford since most folks don't realize that the engine is built by international.

Actually the 6.9L and 7.3L are both International designs as well. International builds engines for a few folks. The old 3208 Cat engine was a development of International's 1145 engine as an example.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 06:41 PM

Watch the tranny in that Andy. Those are hard to find and quite spendy when you find one should you ever need one. I just saw a guy pay $2200 for one with 100k on it after looking for one for months. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
But maybe it's different around you.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Which trans does it have? I thought it had a t19 or np435 4 speed (pretty sure it should be a 19). I could be wrong though i'm guessing you could probably take any gasser t19 and put the diesel bell housing on it and be good to go, I could be completely wrong here though. I know the ZF 5 speed is a lot more coin though i don't think they went with them till '87.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 PM

We had an 85 rollback with the ZF. And I sold a 4WD 250 at at work that had one too and it was an 84 or 85. I think it is a diesel only thing, but I won't state that as fact nor do I know if they were factory. I will say that you won't just pop in a 435 or T-18/19 without some coin. I take it you've never seen the clutch/flywheel setup in one of those have you. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode