SBC - 305 vs 350 clutch/flywheel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

SBC - 305 vs 350 clutch/flywheel

I finally found a 4speed for my <nobr>Chevy</nobr> 350, except it didn't have a bellhousing and clutch. The guy I bought it from has a 4speed off of a 305 from a car, with the complete bellhousing-clutch-flywheel assembly that he'd give me, but I'm not sure if it will interchange. Does anyone know if it will?

(I would post this on the Chevy pages, but there's never too much activity over there.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 01:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: SBC - 305 vs 350 clutch/flywheel

The Chevy 305 / 350 share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The Chevy 305 / 350 are both 3.48" stroke engines that are internally balanced, so there is no problem with a counterweight. There are different size clutch diameters for the Chevy 305 / 350. The two basic sizes are 10.4" usually cars has 10.4" clutches and usually pickup trucks had 11.0" clutches. The flywheels for the 10.4" clutch is 153 teeth. The flywheels for the 11.0" clutch is 168 theeth. Usually the pickup clutch / flywheel will not have enought room inside car bellhousing. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Now having said that, in 1987 the Chevy 305 / 350 crankshaft has a one piece seal, so the flywheels before 1986 and older WILL NOT fit the 1987 and newer Chevy 305 / 350.

If you go mixing flywheels on the Chevy 305 / 350 there is always the nightmare of finding the correct starter. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] There are some minor differences in the Chevy 305 / 350 starter noses that can make you go [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Old Hand

What 4 speed did you get? An SM465 has a 5 1/8" front bearing retainer and uses its own bellhouseing. All other GM 4 speeds used a 4 11/16" front bearing retainer and so has a smaller center hole in the bellhousing that won't work with the 465's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

YAH, don't buy into the mythe that all SBC starters will interchange. I had a guy tell me that when I worked at the parts store so being a smart arss, I pulled out six different startes and asked him which one did he need????
He was kind enough to tell me the year of the vehicle and make after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode