Off Roading Forums banner

looking to lock the front

798 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  GreenMachine 
#1 ·
after wheeling this weekend and finding out that i need a front locker (after aaron yelled at me most of the day)...which one would you guys go for.......lunch box style or detroit (carrier style) for a '00 TJ with a d30..........im running a spooled D44 if that helps......

plus.........the people that are running a locker in the front do you even feel it when you are driving on the street in 2wd?????

#2 ·
this is a good question...
I have seen (and installed several lockers in rigs without locking hubs in the front. I have determinbed that its NOT a good idea...heres why.

case number 1:
not sure if you met Joe the cherokee guy, but he had a lockright in the front of his rig for about 2 months before...blamo...toast.

case number 2:
Peteyg on this board had a full case detroit in the front of his TJ for about 2 years. Saturday we were out doing very very mild wheeling and..snap crackle pop..but it wasn't rice crispies, and costs a whole lot more.

case number 3:
I bought a used ARB off ebay that I knew took a thrashing, ran it for years and sold it for more than I paid. I really think its the best way to go, and if you figure in that at most the detroit lasted 2 years in the front, the ARB is gunna be cheaper in the long run.
There are other options...
you could put a hub conversion kit on the 30, and toss in a lockright for a little more $$$$ than the ARB, but the on/off thing on the trail is nice when you are wheeling....though locking hubs are really nice too.

I think that lockers just plain wear out quickly in the front of tj/xj's unless they are selectable.

#3 ·
In reply to:

case number 1:
not sure if you met Joe the cherokee guy, but he had a lockright in the front of his rig for about 2 months before...blamo...toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i meet joe at the last dixie run (very good guy)........he told me about how the front died after he got back home with the XJ........

do they make locking hubs for the front with out having to replace the outer shafts? or do i need to do that to have the locking hubs?????

do you know what the $$$$(+/-) might be to do that conversion?????

#4 ·
I thought I heard that the big issue Joe had was that he or whoever installed it, forgot to install the thrust washers on teh outside of the lockers.. thus he basically had a Mini spool.... I could be wrong, but it seems I recall hearing that.

john, Ask Frank (red TJ long arm with us at Kodak this weekend) what locer he has in the front. he's happy with it.

#5 ·
In reply to:

forgot to install the thrust washers on teh outside of the lockers.. thus he basically had a Mini spool.... I could be wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Thrust washers on the outside would push the driven couplers toward the center and make it more difficult to unlock. Maybe you meant washers were installed and shouldn't have been?

#6 ·
The other and best option would be to install an ARB, thats what I did and it is the best of both worlds. Locks up when needed and all open when not. I like the solid hubs best because theres nothing to break there, very strong.

But this is just my opinion

#7 ·
Dear John,

You are in desperate need of a front locker. That is clear.

What I would do is start saving for an ARB. I know that it may take a long time to save up that much money.

But thats ok. You need to spend that time

Practicing the CLUTCH (Thats the pedal all the way to the left), the one I kept yelling about on Sunday!!!!!!!

#9 ·
In reply to:

Thrust washers on the outside would push the driven couplers toward the center and make it more difficult to unlock. Maybe you meant washers were installed and shouldn't have been?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actully it keeps teh Locker locked ALL the time. We found this out with Johns REar D35 EZ Lock. Apparently those Thrust washers act like a clutch of some sort and when there's no power they allow the Locker to let loose and spin. but with out them, they don't. I'm not about to try and explain the physics of how or why this happens, all I know is that's what most definitly happened with John and Joes.

Hell, If your bored one day, try it out...

#10 ·
Prill (blue 97 tj with the "rubi lift") has an "Aussie" in the front of his. He can feel it on sharp turns or if he flicks the wheel real fast. Other wise it is invisable. I've got the Powertrax in the front. It has held up just fine. I put in the "Posi-Loc" for the front axle disco and use it like a selectable locker...(you don't have this option).

Save your dimes and get an ARB.

#11 ·
Green Machine has a lockrite in the front of his TJ (dana 30) and he says he can't tell the difference in 2wd. It shouldn't be a problem. He says he is putting Detroits in his new axles (dana 44's). It is a daily driver. Maybe you should lunch box it as soon as you learn to use the clutch.

#13 ·
I have been running one in the front a while now as Aaron mentioned. I don't see that it could be a problem with a part time transfer case unless it got stuck in the locked position all the time then you might notice it. I just built a dana 44 for the front and went with a detroit. I am sorry but I think ARB's are crap.. Everytime I go out with a group and people are running them something usually happens. It prolly hinges alot on wether or not they are properly installed but I will stick with my detroits. If you are really concerned about it save the cabage up and put on one of the hub conversions. There was a used one on southern jeeps website going for 500 smacks the other day.

You will like it TJ's locked front and rear go just about anywhere you point them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.