"UPDATE" (almost there) Headers turning RED HOT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Renegade_Kid

\"UPDATE\" (almost there) Headers turning RED HOT

With the advice I received from the forum, I retarded the timing on my 258 quite a bit. Rather than being about 2-6 degrees before TDC it's now about 12-16!! This can be brought back to about the 12 degree side, but this relieved the headers from turning red hot. I do have a couple questions though. Even thought I had my Holley 390 rebuilt, Im still running my tweaked but stock Prestolite distributor for my application.
1. Do you think this could be one of the reasons why my headers were turning red?
2. I also noticed that EBAY sells a few HEI replacement systems for this system. And, yah I've downloaded a library of info from the site on every ignition upgrade from TFI on.. I also have the money to replace the distributor with a new MSD setup, given the choice what would you recommend?
3. One other thing. Seems every time No matter where the timing is set, when the powertrain is shut down, there's still enough raw fuel in the exhaust system to cause it to backfire. I now wondering what is causing this? Or maybe it's time to take the engine apart, and look into the valves to see whats really happening here. Your thoughts?

Thanks to everyone for your input, I'd like to drive the truck sometime before the summer ends..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: \"UPDATE\" (almost there) Headers turning RED HOT

check this link out, it has info on the TR iginition upgrade, it should be all you ever need,,,,

TR Upgrade Info

The second page has a link that has part numbers etc. I couldn't get TR's web page to work, maybe I typed it in wrong though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 08:12 AM

Re: \"UPDATE\" (almost there) Headers turning RED HOT

Having the Holley rebuilt doesn't guarantee that it is tuned properly. The single biggest advantage and complaint about Holleys is how adjustable and configurable they are. How good was the person that rebuilt it? What method did they use to tune it?

In my honest opinion, if you have the wider spaced rotor cap, the TFI coil, GOOD wires, and good plugs (not some trick 4-prong nonsense), then changing to an HEI setup is going to be largely a waste of time and effort. If you really want to make sure you have strong ignition and are willing to throw money at it, put an MSD 6A ignition box on it. This is not replacing the distributor. It is cheaper and will turn any setup (as ol' TR would say) into "a fire breathing dragon". This is the setup I have on my 258/4.0 head and I am a believer.

As far as pulling the engine apart... is it hard to start after it has been sitting a while? Carbon built up on the backside of valves will soak up fuel for the first several cranks. It will also affect your gas mileage as the valves aren't sealing as well. Have you done a compression check?

...and by the way, if you went from 2-6 degrees BTDC (Before Top Dead Center) to 12-16 degrees, you didn't retard your timing, you advanced it... which was exactly what you wanted to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode