Anyone know where to buy correct rotors??????????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 02:14 PM
willie1280

Anyone know where to buy correct rotors???????????

Guys,
I need to replace my rotors on my wrangler. The only thing i can find at local parts stores (auto zone, advanced auto, napa, 4 wheel parts) are the composit rotors with an overal height of 3 3/16". However these do not fit. If you bolt them on and then put your tire and lugs back on, it siezes your axle up.
So i need the original 3 1/16" cast rotors. I know the local jeep dealer will probaly have them but i dont want to pay an arm and a leg for these. Any ideas?

Thanks
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Anyone know where to buy correct rotors???????

Err ..something isn't right with either what you're telling the parts guy ..or what you're telling us. If I go to AA and ask for rotors ...3 or 4 different come up on the screen. The cheapest are composite. The next are cast ..the third are heavier(about $45 each). They are all the same size. They are the same size for both my Wranglers (99, 02) and my son's Cherokee (00). I've swapped them freely between all these vehicles.

I think that you have some other issue that you're not telling us. This just doesn't make sense (to me anyway). The only way that the wheel can lock up the axle is if it hits the caliper, not allowing the rotor/wheel assembly to move. The caliper height is higher than the rotor and is independant of the rotor size (although the rotor can't be "too big" or else it wouldn't fit inside the caliper). This isn't a rotor issue ..it's a wheel/caliper issue ...quite common with some aftermarket wheels and OEM calipers.

Then again ....I may be FOS.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 05:45 PM
willie1280

Gary,
See thats what confused me too. Everything is stock and original on my 2001 wrangler. If you go to www.autozone.com you will see they offer to sub-sections, one is a cast with an overall height of 3 1/16" and the other is the composites with an overall height of 3 3/16". But if you look more into those sections, you will see they no longer carry the cast ones, only the composites.
So i called sears auto center to see what they install on jeeps. He said it only says OEM cast replcaement.
So like i said before, when i installed everthing with the composite rotor on without the tire, i can rotate the axle freely. I can put the tire on with the lugs finger tight and still rotate it. However, as soon as i start to torque the lugs down i can no longer move the axle. At first i did both front tires without realizing this and when i put the jeep in drive, it wouldnt move an inch. So i went back and put the old rotors (which really didnt need to be replaced) back on with the new pads. And walla, everything was fine. I could move the axle and the jeep drove fine.
I made some comparison measurements on the new and old rotors. The only areas it was the same was the overall diameter, the bolt hole diameters. Everything else was between .100"-130" THICKER on the new composit rotors. This was even in areas that dont wear down on the rotors.
So I am not sure, i guess i will have to call jeep and ask them their thoughts.
Thanks
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Okay ..now that I've figured out what you're dealing with ..and researched that there are available rotors with less than 3 3/16 of depth (I can't view this as height ..thick maybe). Some as low as 3.00".

Napa offers only 3 3/16" rotors for the jeep line. All appear to be composite and vary between $23 and $88. Advance also appears to only have composite rotors

This disturbs me. Why in the world would you sell rotors that won't fit the vehicle?? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Official Historian

They are probably meant for something else and someone thought that they would be close enough. One size fits nothing as RRich says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode