Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Howl when decelerating (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/197180-howl-when-decelerating.html)

Beststash 08-06-2004 09:54 PM

Howl when decelerating

I have a 2002 Apex TJ with 26,000 miles. I get a loud howl when decelerating. I can stop it by feathering the accelerator and slightly putting a load on drive-train.

Does anyone have any experience with this - the noise seems to be louder after cruising for a while. Any suggestions?? I thought I might try and get the dealer to take a look but the noise is not nearly as bad when first driving?? Would this be under warranty??

Any help appreciated!!

MOX 08-07-2004 02:16 AM

Re: Howl when decelerating

Any vibes with that howl? When my U Joints start to go out, they howl, and i get a lot of vibes, and the howl and vibes go away if i get it a lil gas when slowin down. Just a thought. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Jim_Lou 08-07-2004 09:28 AM

A very common cause of that problem is excessive wear or improper setup of the ring and pinion. You can easily test that by removing the rear driveshaft and running on the front axel. If the howl is gone, it was coming from the back diff. Or possibly a U-joint in the rear shaft, but you'll recognize that as soon as you unbolt the shaft.

No idea if it's a valid warranty claim.

And welcome aboard!

GeeAea 08-07-2004 10:53 PM

You should be under either the 36/36 wrap or the 7/70 denpending on when you bought it. in 02. Mine had the 36/36. I had a funny feeling that the sale was "in a hurry". The next week the 7/70 drivetrain warranty came out as a sales promotion. They must have had some dealer incentive to move more out under the less expensive warranty.

Please fill out your profile. I've never heard of an Apex TJ ..so I went to see where you were at (Canada, Bolivia, BFE, ?).

Beststash 08-10-2004 06:07 AM

Is it OK to drive a while without rear driveshaft?? If so, that seems like a good way to help isolate the problem - yesterday I noticed that if I steer to the left (rock) it seems to create the same sound - not sure what that means?? The howl is still there on decelration but if I rock to the left it seems to come and go??

Jim_Lou 08-10-2004 08:14 AM

Yes, it's OK to drive without the rear shaft. Just put it in 4 high. The steering will feel funny, but that's all.

But before doing anything, check on the warranty situation.

I can't think of anything that would cause a whine sensitive to steering input AND power application. Could be two separate problems, or else I'm missing something. A whine when steering is usually low juice in the power steering pump, a bad pump, or a loose drive belt.

WILL 08-10-2004 09:53 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is it OK to drive a while without rear driveshaft??

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok to but you can't with yours. If you pull your rear driveshaft, you'll lose transfer case fluid.

CJ7Taz 08-10-2004 07:40 PM

Have you checked the fluid levels lately? Any damp spots on the driveway?

GP'n 08-10-2004 08:10 PM

I get a loud howl when decelerating.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you need a dogectomy done to the clutch.

I can stop it by feathering the accelerator and slightly putting a load on drive-train.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah that releives the load on the dog tail letting it loosen up some.

Does anyone have any experience with this

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes seen it many times on the older CJ's when I was a monkey wrench for Jeep.

the noise seems to be louder after cruising for a while

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes the heat from the motor and tranny are causing it to be more uncomfortable the longer you drive it.

Would this be under warranty??

[/ QUOTE ]
We did warranty this just one time,,, but for some reason the dealership decided not to warranty anymore with this problem. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

Have a nice day [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Beststash 08-11-2004 08:05 PM

You are cracking me up!!!! What in the heck is a dogectomy?? I agree I probably need one!!! I figure that my experience with the dealer will be interesting - appointment on the 20th and I am getting the manifold recall done at the same time - it will pleasantly surprise me if they have any suggestions.

I have ordered REDLINE lubs for Dana 30, 35, NV3550, transfer case and will change each one as time permits - next will be to lube all of the wheel bearings and hopefully somewhere down the line I will solve something??

I have checked all of the levels (except the transmission) and I cannot find a 17mm allen anywhere in town - I am thinking about going to Home Depot and getting a 17mm hex bolt and using two nuts?? or if I see the local Snap-On guy around maybe try and ask him.

I cannot understand why when I rock the TJ hard to the left when doing about 60 it makes the howl and when rocking to the right it does not - maybe I am trying too hard and am getting distracted??

Any more suggestion?? And please explain a dogectomy!!

BTW - Do you know what a tongue-a-lina instrument is?

Stash