Hard To Start After Sitting For A Week - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Hard To Start After Sitting For A Week

This was posted, something along these lines, a while ago. Maybe quite a while ago. So my Jeep sits most of the week. Sometimes I'll take 'er out in the middle of the week but mostly just on weekends. So after sitting...crank and crank and pump and crank and pump and crank then fire. Seems like the gas was draining back to tank. Nothing on ground. So I took 'er and the family out to see fireworks, "I smell gas" from wife and daughters, almost in unison. The roof's off, windshield is down and the doors are off....has to be coming from another car. Nope. The 4 year old rubber fuel return hose from the engine to the hard line on the frame was dripping fuel. No biggie. Made it home, no fire. Changed hose, no more leak AND it now fires up real quick after sitting for a week. Not a fluke. It's been how many weeks since the 4th of July? Old hose was cracked and very checked. Soooooo did the old hose have enough leakage to allow air to come in and drain fuel out of filter(where the return line comes from) and carb and maybe fuel feed line also and not let fuel come out???? Never fuel on driveway. Plenty of other fluids, but no fuel. When you're working on something then some else is changed(in my case for the better) always go back to what you just did and have another look see. I'm in the process of putting the 20 gallon factory poly tank in and I think I'm going to use fuel injection hose. A little more expensive, but a better hose. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hard To Start After Sitting For A Week

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Dear Jeemy, Yes.....the pinhole let air ENTER the system and broke the vacuum that normally holds the fuel in that line and as a result, the system was gradually leaking fuel back into the tank. The long crank interval was caused by the dry line and the fact that before the carb gets fuel there has to be some resistnce built in the by-pass system, and no resistance ccan build unless there is liquid in there to cause it, sooooo....the fuel pump had to squirt-squirt-squirt to get it full again. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode