tell me how this sounds? cheap and easy YJ build up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

tell me how this sounds? cheap and easy YJ build up

Ok it looks like my wife is getting a new TJ which I will not be allowed to take off road for a while but I am stealing her 93 YJ to use as a DD and mild weekend wheeler as it looks like my Commando is sold. Anyways my plan for the YJ is to put on a BDS 2.5 inch lift/MORE 5/8 shackles/TJ flares and some 32s or maybe 33s. Now the YJ is a 4.0/auto/231 with a stock D30 and D35 rear with 3.07 gears so I would like to upgrade the rear and get some better gears for as cheap as possible. I can pick up an older XJ with a good 44 rear and 30 front with 3.55 gears for pretty cheap so I am thinking I will swap the rear (just switch the perches around) and rather than change gears in the YJ front I will use the XJ front and cut off the brackets and weld on some perches and I think the shock mounts are different? I'm not sure about the steering linkage being the same setup but I believe the track is the same so the YJ stuff should swap on to the XJ axle, right? This would also eliminate the vac disconnect on the YJ axle which should be a good thing. I will also get rid of the track bars and make some disconnects for the sway bar to get some flex. I would get the whole XJ so I would also have a spare 4.0 and some driveshafts to use if I go with a SYE down the road. How does this plan sound for a cheap buildup that will still handle some mild stuff? Any problems that anyone sees using the XJ stuff that I am missing? Tips to make it easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 07:44 PM

Re: tell me how this sounds? cheap and easy YJ build up

Just my 2cents:

I think I would look into a 4 to 1 set up for the 231 this gives you all the umph you need offroad and you still have the gearing for the DD,,,unless you go to 33's then the 355 gears in the other axles would be nice, but for 33's you should have 4;10 gearing or minimal 373 with auto.

But for my money I would go with the 4to1 setup,,, I already did the gearing swap, wish I had done the 4to1 because of high rpms when on highway, but I went with 456 gears before changing to auto.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: tell me how this sounds? cheap and easy YJ bui

I've got a 4 inch lift on the rear, one inch body lift and 32"s and still do some rubbing with the original YJ flares...you might get 33's on without rubbing with the TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:14 AM

Ive got a BDS 3.5" lift setup on my YJ, with the 5/8" boomerang shackles. Real lift is actually about 4.5". I have TJ flares as well. On the front, I have the BDS kit bump stops, and *just* miss rubbing at full flex. On the rear, I have no bump stops and after a little sawzall work, it doesn't rub. I don't think you're going to get 33" tires under it without at *least* a 3.5" lift kit.

On another note, I installed a Ford 8.8 with 4.10's in the rear, and a D30 from a 4-banger (also had 4.10's) in the front, and with 33" tires I still wish I had more gearing in the technical stuff off road. Next stop (after a new engine - At 204,635 miles, the 4.0 has seen better days) is a 4:1 transfer case.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:57 AM

I think it's a great idea. Stick to 32's and stock rims with the steering stops adjusted and the auto and 3.55 gears will be great for a DD/weekend wheeler.
Add a 1" motor mount lift and you might be able to get away without using the t-case drop too. Later on when you put a SYE on the rear you could add a 1" body lift and a flat belly skid too for even better clearance.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:15 PM

Ok, i'm the odd ball i run a 4" pro crap lift (doesn't flex much, rides like crap) and 35" tires with tj flares in the front. My front fenders are pushed up a little bit in front but they fit fine and it looks decent (not like it should have more lift). I like the keep it low approach instead of 12" of lift, a little rubbing is fine and doesn't hurt any one you don't need to give into the unlimited flex gods.

Are you sure the yj doesn't have 3.55's under it? 90% of 4.0 auto jeeps have 3.55's. The xj 44 is a good swap but if you look around you can find an 8.8 with 3.55's, 3.73's, or 4.10's with discs for a lot less than the cost of re-gearing and puttings discs on an 8.8.

sounds like a start to a good trail rig that should still be pretty streetable.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the replies. A set of 4:1 gears in the case would be really nice but will have to wait till there are some more funds. Right now this has to be done as cheap as possible so gear swaps are out of the question. I dont know why my YJ only has 3.07s, I really expected it to be 3.55s too. I can get the XJ stuff for cheap and do the swap myself so the only cost would be spring perches and time and I think the 3.55s would be livable with 32s. I would like to put in a SYE as soon as I can afford it which should take care of any driveshaft angle problems and with the TJ flares I will have plenty of room. I may do a 1" body lift down the road as well to squeeze some more tire under it but I want to keep the COG as low as possible for the street, people drive crazy around here, I have had my Commando go up on 2 wheels avoiding an idiot that pulled out in front of me and it was kind of scary, yet rolling offroad doesnt really bother me. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Anyways I think it should work out well enough, my main concern was if there would be any problem that I was missing running the XJ stuff?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My 4.2 auto came with 3.07's when I did the 8.8 it came with 3.56, been pretty happy with them. get some compression brake action on the steep stuff, yet only runs about 3200 RPM at 70.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I can pick up an older XJ with a good 44 rear and 30 front with 3.55 gears for pretty cheap so I am thinking I will swap the rear (just switch the perches around)

[/ QUOTE ]
I just did this swap. You have to make new shock mounts as the XJ mounts are 90* out from the YJ ones. you could either cut the d-35 mounts off or I made some really nice ones out of .250 wall 2" square tube that worked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode