OT - Got the job, moving to Petersburg VA!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT - Got the job, moving to Petersburg VA!!

Well, I got the job I wanted and now I can move the wife closer to family and home.

We're moving to the Petersburg / Richmond area. I've never lived there. Anybody from the area?

If so, what are good places to live, off-road, search for junk, etc....?

Wow!

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT - Got the job, moving to Petersburg VA!!

Fritz,

Welcome to ol' Virginny! I'm about 70 mi north of Petersburg. Petersburg is a nice area from what I've seen/been there (limited).

Get joined up to the VA 4WD Assn. and ensure you make their annual Oak Ridge run in late Sept. - it's a great time and good crowd of folks.

Quite a few Scrambler owners in the area as well... maybe we can take all that sheet metal some of these guys have bobbed off their -8's and make your -5 long enough to get integrated into the Scrambler crowd. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] LOL For one, I'm not too picky - so long as it's a vintage 'round eye' you're good w/ me.

When are you moving? I might (prayerfully) be moving out of Virginia towards the late summer/fall timeframe.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I start Aug. 1, so we'll be moving the last week in July. My CJ will be moving to my uncle-in-laws in WV until I get a shop setup. It looks like apartment living is in store for the next few months until we find a house we want.

I was born in VA, so for me it a kind of coming home, only a bit further east. I was born in Lexington at Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital. It'll be interesting to see how things shape up.

Fritz

Oh, are you being reassigned, or just moving yourself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

God willing, retiring. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

Hoping to get hired on as instructor/staff attorney up in Kentucky at a criminal justice training academy.

I'm ready to go now, but cannot officially 'til January. However, w/ terminal leave, etc... I'd actually be able to depart in Sept/Oct timeframe. Praying that I'll have the fall's hunting seasons free of distracting obligations. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:28 PM
littlejohn85

Comin down my way!

I live in Chesterfield, about 20 mins from Ptbg. I work 4-5 miles north of the city. Not a whole lot of 'legal' wheeling down this way.

There are a few pic and pulls in the area. Chesterfield Auto Parts(CAP), and Circle Auto Parts (CAP)which is very close to Petersburg. I've only seen 1 SWB Jeep in either yard, and it wasn't there for long. Alot of XJs and some FSJs.

Big Dogs is always fun (www.Bigdogsoffroad.com) and theres always the Outer Banks for some easy fun in the sun.

John
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:17 AM

Paul glad to hear you got the job you were looking for.

I spent a little time in Petersburg Virginny way back in 70,,,, Actually was at Fort Lee, but I lived in Petersburg. I can't remeber if it was petersburg or Hopewell, right next door, But one of them had a pulp wood plant and it stunck to high heaven. Took me forever to get used to it,,, but I did. Beutiful country around there, not familiar with any 4 wheeling there because I was tied to the Army then [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. But I did like the area.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Veteran

welcome [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm over towards the hills in the west. I work in CHarlottesville. but live in Waynesboro. I am about 10 minutes from Nelson County which is supposed to have some great places to wheel. Maybe one of these days i'll actually get a day off and go find some of them.

-web
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Hey! Welcome to Ginnia, Fritz. I have on word for you: Big Dogs
That's about the best 'legal' wheeling in the N. VA area I know of. Probably not too bad a track for you either. I wonder if anyone else from this board had shown up there yet...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 02:54 PM
littlejohn85

Absolutely correct on Big Dogs. Best wheeling in the area, but only open 4 weekends a year, which keeps the trails pristine.(reservations necessary). I've been to the last 2, a total blast. About a 3hr trek up to Winchester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode