Mechanical Risk is good for you! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Mechanical Risk is good for you!

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] LEVE just posted a site that is gathering membership for a "Jeep (and other 4 X 4) Help" network. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] One of the reply posts from a Jeep BBS member in KC indicates that he has at least some degree of trepidation about going on a 4 X 4 trip because of the potential for mechanical breakdown. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I want to state once again, that: MECHANICAL RISK is actually a GOOD thing. Todays totally-OSHA'd world; where everything is made so you can go to work in a drug-induced stupor and still survive; GOES AGAINST WHAT IS BUILT INTO EACH OF US by our Creator, and that is the ability to DEAL WITH ADVERSITY. Sure, if you have three little kids and you are on a family vacation through the desert, it would be nice if the car didn't quit on you, but that's a little different than a Jeep Jaunt where you take the Jeep somewhere JUST FOR THE SAKE OF THE TRIP. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Obviously the folks that drove a worn-out 1922 Dodge to Californey during the big Okie Migration in the 1930's had no choice.........and they did the things that were necessary to keep that Dodge going, be it bacon rind in the rod bearings, or Oatmeal in the radiator. Those folks showed the resourcefulness that was built into them. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm not saying that you should INTENTIONALLY put yourself in a life-threatening mess, but at the same time, if you and a buddy want to take a Jeep Jaunt and just SEE how things go, by all means DO IT. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Overhauling an AX-15 in the dirt alongside the road like 99XJ did is a good way to separate the dials-phone-for-help people from the real mechanics. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] My point is that if you do these things NOW, when you still CAN, that these experiences......whatever they turn out to be......will be a benchmark that you can always look back on and say: "I DID that." and it makes most other things seem a lot more doable. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:39 AM

Re: Mechanical Risk is good for you!

Here is one of my favorite quotes:

Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Way Outta Control

It's totally healthy too - you enjoy the great outdoors, Then you get all the excercise the following week fixing what you broke. Keeps you out of the bars etc.

The side benefit - where else would you spend all that money? (Now don't go asking the wife.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The trips I look back upon, with the most fond memories, always included some sort of mechanical problem. In fact, I remember fondly every trip with a repair included, and have forgotter many that went without a hitch. I love vacations for the quality time spent with my family, but it's also about the time with and in our Jeeps. Taking a trip in my wife's comfy, A/C'd Passat with cruise on is totally unapealing when compared with bouncing down the road and off the road in my noisy, drafty Scrambler. I am even alot more comfortable in my Scrambler, or my Jeepster for that matter...go figure. And you meet the nicest people traveling in a Jeep...its not a vehicle, it's a lifestyle.

I think CJDave's "mechanical presence" post and this one should be combined, archived, and made part of the "Jeepers Creed"...
[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Wasn't it Plato who said:<ul type="square">[*]</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Necessity... the mother of invention.

[/ QUOTE ][/list]2. It's true...
3. In my life, and
4. I'd bet you're bottom dollar,
5. It's true in yours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode