97 TJ Air Conditioning Issue - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 12:29 AM
TJ_Gecko

97 TJ Air Conditioning Issue

I just purchased my first Jeep. The Air Conditioning in it blows cold but only through the defroster. I have been told it could be a vacum issue but have not had any success in locating a leak in the lines on the firewall. The air will vent out the bottom for heat so I am thinking maybe I have a door issue in the duct work because I can never get any air through the center, driver or passenger vents. Any help from the assembled Jeep Gurus would be greatly apprecciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 97 TJ Air Conditioning Issue

Does this apply? It is the only tsb I could find.

NO: 24-13-96
SUBJECT: Erratic Heater A/C Operation - No Air Out Panel Vents
DATE: Sep. 20, 1996
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Erratic Heater A/C operation including, slow mode changes or mode changes while driving with no operator input or lack of air out the panel vents.

DIAGNOSIS:
If any vacuum related heater A/C control complaints are received as described above lower the glove box door and inspect the vacuum connection behind the door. Make sure that the connectors are fully seated. Remove the vacuum check valve located near the intake manifold, check the valve operation with a hand held vacuum pump. The valve should allow vacuum to pass in only one direction. If the valve does not operate properly, replace it. Install the valve with the black end towards the intake manifold. Check the operation of the panel door by switching the system between the floor and panel modes. If the system does not change, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Quantity
Part No.
Description

4886086AB
Panel Door Lever

55037362AB
Heater NC Control (NC Equipped Vehicles)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves checking the vacuum system and installing a heater NC control and panel door lever.

Record the radio station presets and disconnect the battery negative cable.
Remove the lower steering column cover and knee blocker to gain access to the left side of the heater NC assembly.
Remove the defrost actuator lever to gain access and remove the broken lever from the panel door servo arm. Save the retainer clip.
Locate the other part of the lever in the panel door panel pivot shaft and insert a No. 8 sheet metal screw into the existing hole in the center of the lever, screwing it in a few turns. Grasp the head of the screw with a pair of pliers, pull the piece out of the pivot shaft and discard it.
Insert the new lever, P/N 4886086AB, rotating it until it fits into the door and snap it into place.
Install the servo arm onto the lever and install the retaining clip.
Install the lower steering column cover.
Remove the instrument panel bezel.
Lower the glove box door and unplug the heater NC vacuum connector.
Remove the instrument panel center bezel.
Remove the four heater NC control screws and slide the control far enough out to allow removal of the electrical connectors and the temperature control cable. Remove the control.
Install the new control, P/N 55037362 AB, and install the cable and electrical connectors.
Install the four control retaining screws.
Fully seat the vacuum connector and raise the glove box door.
Install the instrument panel center bezel.
Connect the battery negative cable.
Program the radio station presets recorded in step 1 and set the clock to the correct time.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No.
Time

24-50-33-90
0.5 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:
Code
Description

P8

New Part

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:16 AM
TJ_Gecko

Re: 97 TJ Air Conditioning Issue

Thanks Dorfs. By the way Cotopaxi is the most beautiful place I have ever been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode