A few Willy's pickup questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

A few Willy\'s pickup questions

It looks like I'll soon be the new owner of a Willy's pickup from another member of this board and have a few questions about what I can do with this thing.

First off I'm wondering if anyone knows how much it'll weigh. I kinda need to know so I can decide on what vehicle I'm going to use to tow it home.

Secondly, how well does a V-8 fit under the hood and between t he fenders? Is it a clean look or will some trimming need done?

Third, I'm skipping between thoughts of keeping the original frame and fixing the bad spot in it or swapping the body onto a newer frame. Would it be too difficult finding a frame with similar dimensions and putting new body mounts on to match the Willys body?

This isn't a quick project, but more of a summer/winter project with hopes to be driving it by next summer. Anyone see any problems with this or other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:22 AM

Re: A few Willy\'s pickup questions

1) Stock weight is bit over 3300 lbs.

2) I've seen plenty with V 8s, but haven't looked closely as to the fit-up. I'm kinda a purist about those rigs so it's never been a point of interest. A 318 Dodge had adequate room front to rear..I do remember that much. I have a friend with a '61 pickup with a ford V 8, maybe a 351???? just rode in it today .....I can probably take a peek under the hood this weekend.

3) Don't know much about fitting it on another frame. The frame, cab and mounts are narrow in front and get pretty wide in the back....axles too.... the whole truck is like a wedge.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:45 AM

You can always drop the body onto a wagoneer frame. I have seen one done this way and know of another in very, very slow progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:36 AM

When dad had the '53, we were looking at dropping in a 260 V-8...found out it was just enough different from the 289/302 to be a hassle. The only major stumbling block we saw on it was the steering unit was in the way. We hadn't figured out exactly what we were going to do when dad decided to get rid of it for another project. I know there were a couple different steering set ups depending on year. That would be one point I look at. Good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

A 350 fits in no problem. I had a 350/350/20 combo, with outboarded 44's from a waggy, in a 50 wagon frame under a 55 pickup cab. 109" wb with a real short bed. Looked cool. I ran saginaw power steering and had no problems, other than the cab is a little small if you're 6'2" and 250 lbs [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I'd post pics but this was in the pre-digital days, and my scanner is on the fritz. If you want some, I've got alot of the whole buildup, and i could get them scanned and posted at a friends...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Long ago and far away.... I had a 1960 Willys Wagon. Bought it out of a junk yard with a messed up 327 SBC that was great for bug fogging. I rebuilt a 283 SBC and swapped that in, drove it for about a year. Had the original T90 and whatever (D20? don't remember) transfercase, both got rebuilt during the motor swap.

The only thing that I still remember well about the truck was the fact that I broke stuff often. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

SBC fits in just fine. Would suggest going with a nice aluminium radiator with electric fans (kinda $$$) because there just isn't room for a large radiator.

I'm sure you won't want any of drive line parts the I put up with so have fun building it.

Dale
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 01:08 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I found 2 on my local files...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1318061-WillysE1.JPG (28.8 KB, 5 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 AM

My '53 Willys wagon had an AMC 360/TH400/Dana 20 from an early Wagoneer stuffed in it. It was tight but I could change the plugs without removing the fenders. I also had enough room in front to change the water pump. There was some hammer work on the inner fenders to clear the shock towers and the radiator shroud was trimmed. From the top looking down it wasn't a bad installation. Whosomever did the swap also put Saginaw power steering on it.

Everything was on track for a major overhaul until I pull the front clip ... That's when I discovered major booty fab and lots of booger weldz. Now it's just kind of filling up my garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode