Thornbirds Vs. TSL's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM
MTpiney871

Thornbirds Vs. TSL\'s

alright at the end of the summer im going to buy a 1999 chevy blazer ZR2. I'll be installing a 6 inch superlift and 33X12.5's. Im deciding between The superswamper Thornbirds and TSL's....If anyone has any experience with either of these or knows anything about them let me know. If theres a better tire out there around $150 or less, that would be even better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Addict

Re: Thornbirds Vs. TSL\'s

Need more info. What are you going to use the Blazer for?

If you are going to use it as a daily driver, the TSL's won't last very long on pavement. They will not like wet pavement either. They will also flat-spot over night unless you buy the radial model.

If you are going to use it off-road most of the time, the Thornturds are going to leave you stuck somewhere.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:41 PM
MTpiney871

Im going to be using it as a daily driver...but the truck will see mud almost every weekend in pine barrens... mud and fine sand is what i need to gt through. the mickey thompsons on my jeep do the trick but i was looking for something a little cheaper this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:46 PM

It really depends what you plan on doing with it, if it isn't driven much and is a trail rig go with a swamper, If it's a daily driver/ sees some off road use go with a radial mud tire (bfg mt, mtr, general mud), and if it's a mall crusier go with some mall terrains (bfg at, goodyear at/s). Most people don't like thorn birds but they are a good sand tire. They are a bias ply just like most other swampers and will flat spot and drive like crap on the road.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

I would go with a radial mud tire like the BFG. It will wear alot better than a swamper on the road and still provide excelent results in the mud. I had a set of BFG MT's on my Jeep. They road nice and worked in everything but the rocks. I now run TSl's, good in the rocks, bad on the road!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:32 PM
MTpiney871

what about Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip tire?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Stay away from the t-birds. They will get you stuck in the Pines. A friend of mine had them on his TJ and he hated them. They were really bad in wet weather on the road also.

For a Daily driver and weekend warrior, id go with a radial mud. Maybe a swamper mud, but they still dont last long. A BFG or other less aggressive mud tire will last much longer on the road.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 11:08 PM

You know what you call a rig with thornbirds?

Stuck!

For what you are talking about, the Wrangler MT/R would be a good choice, but spendy. A set of BFG MTs or maybe Procomps would be the way to go.

If inexpensive is a priority, there are some good "off breeds" out there. I'm fairly fond of my Trail Mark M/S's. Hankook Dynamic MTs are cheap and not bad at all. Ran Hankook T-34s for a long time...was sorry when they discontinued them. Would run the dynamics in a minute.

Good luck with it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Pooh-Bah

Any bias tire you run will be very heavy and the IFS in a blazer will not like it much. I have a friend with 31s on a blazer (not a zr2, but the drivetrain is the same) and he has broken 3 front shafts and one rear axleshaft. He doesn't wheel it that hard. Also has some tranny slipping (91,000 miles) from luggin around bigger tires. The 33's will be even worse.
But if you are determined, I would stick with a radial mud terrain.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Official Historian

I had the 33" supersports from walmart. Now I have 35" supersports. I think they are a good inexpensive tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode