Toyota axles in a YJ ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Toyota axles in a YJ ?

I know it's sacrilidge but I'd like your input on this as you know more than anybody around here. I could get a 1982 Landcruiser FJ60 in good running condition for
next to nothing. Drivetrain is all good. I was wondering if the axles
and some part of the tranny/tcase could be used in a '91 4.0L YJ.
What are the issues I'd be looking at using/mating any of that stuff?

I guess the axles are pass. side drop but that could be fixed with a
D300 right? Could the toy tcase or tranny be used with the 4.0?

As you can see I'm not only looking for good axles that are easily
fabbed (steel housing) but can have low gears in 3rd member also. I
don't know the ratios on the tcase and tranny. Anyone?

Tibor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:09 AM

Re: Toyota axles in a YJ ?

If i remember correct you were thinking of going with 60's in a couple years. If that's your plan and your still playing hard i'd skip the toy axles. They are strong but just not that strong. They have barifields instead of u-joints that like to explode though you can get heavy duty ones. There is a guy with toy mini truck axles under his yj (i can't for the life of me remeber his user name) on pirate along with tons of good info on toy axles there. I think the general rule is 36's with some guys running 38's with completely upgraded shafts and they are eating parts in the rocks pretty regurlarly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:31 AM

That's going to have an offset rear too. So you'd want to use a Dana 18 for the t-case if you decide to go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well I linked a few pictures to show the kind of stuff I'm doing now. Pic1 , Pic2

This was stage one (the easiest) at the Virginia State Rockcrawling Competition at the Big Dogs play grounds at Gore, VA. 3 out of 6 vehicles broke on this stage. And it only got worse... But I'll post another thread on the event.

So, yes if I had the money now I'd go 60s. This Toy is available for dirt so I was wondering if anything is usable off of it. I might still get it and part it out to make some cash toward the 60. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:05 PM

Part that bad boy out for some reason i remeber hearing that the 3rd are worth some good money and the front should be disc brake which a lot of the tlc guys are looking for. If it's fuel injected people will want the injection. Ih8mud.org is a big tlc site so it would probably be a good place to sell the parts. You could probably get the cash for a 60 front out of it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 11:46 AM

I got to agree with Jeeper99xj. Part that baby out and use the money for easier to swap parts. Maybe an Atlas TC...then again I'd sell a limb for an atlas(still stuck with the 205). I haven't been around for a while, just checked out your site, the yj seems to be getting better and better. I wish I had the time and energy to get mine up to your level.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks Jimmy! Actually I have a 4:1 and a 2low kit in the NP231 so that's OK for now. I need a little more power or lower gearing still and probably the most reasonably priced way to do it is to swap in a bigger front axle (D44 or D60) that would accomodate up to a 5.13 gear set which is the Ford 8.8 rear's max. That would take me from 62:1 to 77:1 crawl.

I'm almost in the powerband of the 4.0L for crawling at idle but not quite yet. It just needs a little more where I don't have to gas it that much and can slow down even more when I need to but still have the speed for when that's needed. I'm still entertaining the option to stroke the 4.0L also.

Other than that it would be a full drivetrain and axle swap. In would go something injected like a 5.0 or stronger V6 or a lucky find 350. Mate it to the right low 1st tranny and 4:1 tcase hooked to a set of 60s. Talking about needing a lot of $$$ or lucky finds and time to get it together!

On top of all this the rig is in desperate need of a new set of springs. Probably, a Rubicon SOA set is in order.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 12:06 PM

Didn't notice the 4:1, I think the Dana 44 swap would be your best bet. As I didn't want to change my track width like Jeff did, with the wagoneer front axle and wheel spacers in the back(when he was still running the 8.8). I swapped in the currie front axle housing. I used TJ axles and a warn hub kit. It was a lot simpler than trying to swap in axles from other vehicles(heck...it bolted in). Of course I don't know if Currie still makes the housing I used.

Also, 5.13's seem a little too much for anything smaller than a dana 60. I have seen 5.13 pinions from 60's and they are pretty small(in comparison to other gears available for 60's).

The stroker sounds like a large undertaking. I have stroked a few engines in the past(never an inline though), some are simply using rods and pistons from different engines to get the neccasary deck height with the stroker crank. Others get quite expensive requiring custom rods and pistons. Some use modified factory cranks(383 chev-331 ford) and some require custom cranks.

Also if you increase the torque output of the engine the gearing will mot be as big an issue. I know there is lots of thinking required, but that goes with the territory of doing what we love to do. And I think I can say without a doubt that you'll figure it out in the end.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:39 PM

Found it...Currie part #44-2003 is $599 or the reverse rotation #44-2003R is $699. Ofcourse that doesn't include gears and carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode