YJ Brake Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 02:38 AM
saberworks

YJ Brake Problems

Recently purchased a 1991 YJ (4.0L & manual tranny). It's bone stock except for the 30 inch MTRs I put on there from my old Jeep (long story).

Anyway, I was driving to my brother's house today and something happened. I will tell it like it happened:

I was driving about 60MPH when I started smelling something nasty. It smelled like burning electrical components, but I couldn't tell if it was my vehicle or something else. I kept driving and kept smelling it, but I didn't notice any smoke or anything so I figured I'd be okay till I got to my brother's house.

Down a hill the speed limit changes to 35. I gently press the brake pedal and my Jeep veers to the right SEVERELY. Now I'm freaked out because I almost went over a bank and down into some trees.

I pull off at the gas station and notice that my Jeep isn't performing correctly. Basically, I have to give it a LOT of gas to keep it moving. I'm starting to have an inkling of what's going on. I pull over and there's smoke coming from the left front brakes, and it stinks bad. I think the left front was stuck braking. Called my brother, then drove it to his house. Definitely the brake was sticking, it was smoking a lot worse and was really hot when I pulled up (it's about 2.5 miles from the gas station and I didn't go over 30MPH).

Anyway, we jacked it up, pulled off the tire and other than the melted pad glue, everything looks fine. The pads are very thick, the rotors look okay but they should have been turned last time the pads were replaced (by the previous owner). The wheel SPUN FREELY and testing the brakes with the car off seemed to be fine. We pulled the caliper free from the rotor and everything looks okay.

The fluid is full and there appear to be no leaks in the brake system at all. The brake warning dummy light was not on.

While driving, the brake pedal was NOT depressed even after I let go. It would come up like normal, but something was getting really hot and slowing me down, it really felt like brakes.

Recently, I have gone wheeling in some mud and puddles, but nothing really extreme. Basically they were max about 8-10 inches deep and just muddy water.

Can you think of what this could be? I thought the caliper would be seized up and we could just replace it, but it seems like it's okay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: YJ Brake Problems

Check the flex lines in the front of your Jeep. The piece of the break system that goes from the calipers, and attaches to the hard line at the frame. If you have rubber flex lines I would be willing to bet that is the problem
The rubber is old, and getting soft. As you apply pressure to the breaks, the hose expands a little, when you let off the the pedel the negative pressure causes the hose to get sucked in, and actually closes it right up. This traps break fluid in the piston, and thus your breaks stick. Next time it happens crack the bleeder screw and see if your breaks are under pressure.
I would try a new set of flex hoses.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:21 PM
saberworks

Thanks for your reply, I'll replace the hoses.

Anyone have a suggestion for getting the rotors off? I need to get it checked, and possibly replaced, since it got very hot (maybe it warped). But I can't get it off! It appears to be rusted on [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 07:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have had good luck using a large three jaw puller.
Hook the jaws around the rotor, and pull it off the spindle. A little PB blaster may go a long way.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

Most shops will use PB Blaster and a BFH.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:56 PM

brakes lines are one thing to check.. but im gonna put my money on the paportioning value (sp) under the master cyclinger silver colored thing that has 2 lines in the top and a couple of lines coming out of the bottom.. they will go bad. and cause lots of stress. i replaced the eniter brake system before finding out it was the problem and it only cost 20 bucks to replace ..instead of 200 on all new rotors pads calipers. brake lines etc.

payton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode