question for the some of the jeep know it alls! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:25 PM
spider10382

question for the some of the jeep know it alls!

I have been getting a sound from my jeep for the last month and i cant figure out where it is comming from. This only happens at very slow speed normally first gear only. When I start from a complete stop I get a sound that sounds like something is scraping or getting stuck. I can feel a slight vibration in the pedals probably just vibration from the noise itself because it is not very severe. I have checked all that I can think of. I brought it to my mechanic when it firs started and he took the rear wheels of and said he couldnt find anything but he thought it may have been a rock stuck in some heatshield thing on the breaks? not sure exactly what he meant. I know this much it is comming from the rear passenger side. It doesnt do it all the time but i can usually count on it being there if I have been driving for 30 min or so. just curious if anyone has had this problem or if there are any suggestions on where to look. Oh yeah it might help to know it is a stock 2000 tj sport its got the 4.0 engine in it. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Official Historian

Re: question for the some of the jeep know it alls

Pull the front driveshaft and see if it goes away.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: question for the some of the jeep know it alls!

Strange how you ask... but that's OK.

First I know abolutely nothing about a TJ.

Second I can't answer your question... so far. So I have a question for you.

Do you have a different noise when you backup? Like a squeek but not something that would produce a feeling through the Jeep? And does that sound's speed change with the speed of the Jeep?

Good Luck

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:36 PM
spider10382

makes the same sound forward and reverse
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
makes the same sound forward and reverse

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, maybe not what I was thinking. I would still check all of the driveshaft U-Joints. Just take the weight off the wheels and check for slop when turning the driveshaft by hand.

Looks like Will thinks it's in the front.

A dry U-Joint in most things makes a clunk and vibration going forward but squeeks when you move in reverse. One that's about to come apart on the rear driveshaft of a CJ-7 is more fun than an amusement park ride.

Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rock stuck in the front between the heat shield and caliber, but that does not explain why you do not have it until 30 min of driving. How are your wheelberrings? The front ones on a tj are a treat.... Easy on the hands but not on the wallet.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After 30 min of driving go back to your house, put a jack under the rear pumpkin (differential), jack it up and turn both the rear wheels. If you think it is coming from the right rear, then it just might be a bad rear bearing.
Compare the left side to the right side.
I presonally think that 30 min is about the right amount of time for the wheel bearing to warm up and start showing the problem.
While your at it, with the trany in neutral, turn the drive shaft and make sure all it ok. Bad u-joints can usually be felt this way.

BTW...if you don't have a good hydraulic floor jack....go buy one. It will pay for itself quickly.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
spider10382

thanks guys I will try to check it out this weekend and see what I can find. The only other thing that I can think of that I may not have mentioned is that it is only at speeds less than 5 mph and does seem louder in rev. Same sound just slightly louder.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:09 PM

Also, if you have a standard tranny, check your throwout bearing and clutch...they make squealin' noises and light thumps in the pedal when they are wearing out too.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Official Historian

Re: question for the some of the jeep know it alls

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Looks like Will thinks it's in the front

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend with a TJ that was making a speaking noise a few years ago that neither one of us could figure out. It turned out to be the CV joint on the front driveshaft having a bad centering ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode