O/T UROC EXTREMEE - BFG Extreme East #3, Badlands - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: O/T UROC EXTREMEE - BFG Extreme East #3, Badlands

That's something I'd really like to see! Anybody know how close to the action you can get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
That's something I'd really like to see!

[/ QUOTE ]

Then plan on coming! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anybody know how close to the action you can get?

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer is too close. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Be careful and don't be down hill from an obstacle in a place where you can't move quickly.

The UROC Officials try very hard to keep everyone safe but in such an open environment it's impossible to have complete control or guess where a crawler might end up in a flop.

The obstacles themselves are always marked off with yellow tape but you can get as close as you feel comfortable.

The teams enjoy talking to everyone, about anything so don't be shy.

Lots of fun. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T UROC EXTREMEE - BFG Extreme East #3, Badla

So is it just regular Badlands admission price? And you can wheel back to where the event is going on, or as close as you can make it? Or do they close the whole park for wheeling, and only allow in spectators?
How's the whole thing work, Dale?
Sorry to be a PITA, but it sounds like a great weekend to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:49 PM

Jim, I was actually wondering the same thing. (it would be a long walk to the quarry for example)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

So is it just regular Badlands admission price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure... will have to get back to you on that.

And you can wheel back to where the event is going on, or as close as you can make it? Or do they close the whole park for wheeling, and only allow in spectators?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can wheel that weekend too, but the quarry and much of the trail around the quarry will be marked out as obstacles, so no wheeling there. The course designers themselves likely haven't decided how the obstacles will be setup or even where exactly, the quarry will be where most of them are.

Last year there were 10 obstacles total, each team did 5 obstacles each day. The first event this year at Jellico, TN was just like that. This one could be different so I need to ask and get back to you.

Each obstacle is scored and timed (typical 8 to 10 minute max. time). I won't go into the whole point system, the UROC site likely has info, but the lowest score for all 10 obstacles is the winner. Cones are used to set a starting and ending gate as well as the path that the crawlers have to take along each obstacle. Hitting a cone is 10 points. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Likely to be some bonus gates (negative points for taking the harder line) in a few of the obstacles.

Last year an open field was setup for parking and it was an easy walk to the quarry. There are roads to get you there so if you don't mind it getting dusty you can bring your Hummer. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's a fun day, kids love it and are safe when supervised, there is a snack tent, and port-a-lets - what more could you ask for. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Speaking of kids... of any age... show up and ask... free digital picture of you with a rig (but I'm not a great photographer), under twelve can get behind the wheel after promising not to mess with any switches.

Need more?? Have DSL or Cable internet?? DO NOT TRY THESE LINKS WITH DIAL UP !!

Low res. but still large files (Real Player required):

1st obstacle - Real Player

2nd obstacle - Real Player

Higher res. and bigger files (but the same thing, Windows Media Player 9 suggested)

1st obstacle - Windows Media Player

2nd obstacle - Windows Media Player

Mike Smythe (SpaceGhost/Badlands Off Road) on his first two obstacles at the Jellico, TN competition last month. His spotter is Kevin Shipley (aka "Big Dude"). For team info go to :::UROC:::WORLDS TOUGHTEST ROCKCRAWLERS::: pick on "Modified" and then "SpaceGhost Badlands Off Road".

Mike is in third place going into this weeks Jellico competition. Proud to say I helped a little bit with the rig.

Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It's only a week away - plan on being there !

Spectator admission is $10 per person per day. Children 12 and under free. I have two for one coupons (but how to get them to you?).

If you wish to wheel - the normal Badlands admission price ($15 + $5/passenger) will apply and you are welcome to park and watch the competition as you wish. But the quarry and much of the trail around the quarry will be marked out as obstacles, so no wheeling there.

While I can’t guarantee parking will be the same as last year, everyone that I asked seems to think that it would be. There is an open field that is above the quarry and about 150 yards walk to the top edge of the quarry. Any typical passenger car can easily make it to that field to park via dirt/gravel roads, it will be dusty (or muddy) but passable for low clearance vehicles.

Most of the obstacles will be in or very near the quarry. It's best to move around a little and see several different obstacles, some will be easy (for a crawler) and others will be killer.

Here are some updated links for additional information:

Printable itinerary

Schedule Details on UROC Site

Directions to the Badlands

Come on out and watch the :::UROC:::WORLDS TOUGHTEST ROCKCRAWLERS:::

Edit:

An important note - DO NOT BRING ANY ALCOHOL TO BADLANDS OFF ROAD PARK - it will be confiscated and/or you will not be allowed in.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Just two weeks away. Anybody going? I'm going to see if the Boss or Frank would like to go.

I'm making this sticky for a few days to drum up a little interest.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The competition today was great ! The weather was better than I can find words for, not real hot with low humidity... Got to complain about something so, it was a little dusty. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Lots of action, several rollovers and some really serious obstacles, the course designers were very true to the “Extreme” theme. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I didn’t see even one person from this board. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Come on out tomorrow, should be even better than today, maybe the weather will be good too. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

As promised there is parking very near the quarry but different than last year with a slightly longer walk for some and shorter for the lucky ones that are directed to a different area, I had to walk about 400 yards to the quarry.

On that note here’s a rig that I followed in. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It's not really a Hummer - just a TJ wearing a funny suit. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]

Did you notice the little white Chevy parked beside it? It passed the HJ on the road to the quarry. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

COME ON OUT TOMORROW [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dale
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

O/T UROC EXTREMEE - BFG Extreme East #3, Badlands

UROC - EXTREMEE - BFG Extreme East #3

The third event in the UROC season will be held in Attica Indiana at Badland Offroad Park, Jul 24, 2004 - Jul 25, 2004.

Rock Crawling at it's best.

For more information please follow these links:

:::UROC:::WORLDS TOUGHTEST ROCKCRAWLERS:::

Badlands index page

Not a good wheeling weekend at Badlands but great to just watch, come on out !

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

This morning it was 59* here, and it rained all night and is still drizzling now. Did that weather get to you, and what did it do to the competition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode