TJ Suddon overheating problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

TJ Suddon overheating problem

I think I know the cause but has this happened to you before? I think my radiator may be clogged with dirt from my last submerging. I noticed that the jeep was running a it hot but couldnt figure out why. Thats the only thing I can think. Anyone know the best way to clean this thing out so it will start passing air again? I sprayed it out with the garden hose but I dont think that 100% took care of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 10:25 PM

Re: TJ Suddon overheating problem

Pressure washer will do the trick pretty well, also get inside the engine compartment to get the other side of the rad. If the mud is dry it might blow out with air.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pressure washer will do the trick pretty well...

[/ QUOTE ]

All of my quarters go to the local Car Wash lately.

Dale

Edit: I'm just glad I don't have to clean up the bay after I leave. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, I blasted most of the dirt that I could out but the mudhole I went in was full of clay and little clay pebbles. Just the right size to get stuck in between the louvers of the radiator core. I cant get allot of them out and am not sure if they may now be a permanent part of my radiator. I guess I'll find out my next outing if I got enough of it out to keep the thing from overheating. It will be one hot summer trying to wheel with the heater on the whole time. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I may end up having to pull it (its actually the a/c cooler that acted like the filter) and clean it out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you have the ability to get your hose inside the engin compartment of the Jeep you may try spraying water from the inside (side of the radiator that the motor is on) to the outside.
This will push the mud/rocks/clay/dirt out the same way they came in. If you try to spray stuff through the rad and into the engin compartment, you may actually be getting the solid partical even more stuck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I spent the first 15 minutes of washing blasting from the inside out. Its a bit hard to get in there real good with the fan and the shroud in the way. Im probably going to make another trip to the local power wash and give it one more shot before my 4th of July trip to Naches.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It would take a considerable amount of dirt on the radiator to cause it to overheat.
Can you give us a little more info on when and how it overheats? The cause could be something else....such as a blown head gasket. One clue is you start using water.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

It only overheated when the engine was under load for a long period. I was driving up to evans creek in washington state. Its up hill for about 20 miles. Thats the only time so far was on the way up there. Ive driven around town for hours and as long as the engine wasnt under a heavy load then no problem. Although I have been getting a check engine light lately. I havent checked the code yet. The motor only has 70k on it so i would hope the head gasket isnt blown yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode