Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   water in engine, kinda OT (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/194610-water-engine-kinda-ot.html)

80cj 06-14-2004 05:33 PM

water in engine, kinda OT

my buddy has a boat with an inboard/outboard engine. he left the plug in and it rained (a lot!) so he finds the water halfway up the side of the motor. when we drain the oil there was probably 2 gallons of water in the oil pan. my question is, how could it get there? unless it was high enough to leak in through the dipstick, where else could i leak in from. it wasn't high enough to reach the intake. i'm perplexed.

thanks all
shawn

sentinel 06-14-2004 06:57 PM

Re: water in engine, kinda OT

The only thing I can think of is that if the oil pan gasket is old and leaky the water could seep in if it got above the oil pan. Hope this helps

jdoggmoney 06-14-2004 08:03 PM

My 79 CJ7 has the short style dipstick tube. When I'm playin in the deep stuff, I learned that I have to remove the dipstick and put a rubber plug over the tub. Could be a combination of things.

The first (and only I hope) time I took on water, I changed the oil with cheap stuff and a jug of Rislone, ran it for about ten minutes, then changed back to my normal oil. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

in2mud 06-14-2004 09:25 PM

Remember inside the motor it is vented and even when running builds very little pressure. The seals are also designed to keep oil in. As in the lip of the seal with the spring points toward the oil.

Now put that motor under water and you have all the pressure of the water wanting to fill the air space inside the block. So it seeps in through the seals and any other place it can but those same spots would probably never leak oil. Kinda like a cars door seal will keep out rain and dust as it is designed for but put the car under water and watch what happens.

Any Marine drive that has a gearcase under water will use 2 seals with one lip toward the water and one toward the oil, or whats a.k.a double lip seal that is the same thing but built into one seal. So one keeps water out and one keeps oil in.