AC install '75 Jeep CJ How? Where get Parts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

AC install \'75 Jeep CJ How? Where get Parts?

I am looking at an aftermarket AC system from ACKITS.COM. Has anyone had any dealings with them? Any better Ideas to put AC in the CJ? (I know, bikini top, bugs in teeth, we don't need no steenkin air) Central Florida Summer and daily driving with rain in the forecast forces me to drive with the top on and window air is just not enough. It is livable in "surrey" mode (doors and windows off) or with the bikini top, but the rain will get me (and my cargo) wet.

TIA for all comments and suggestions [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:24 PM

Re: AC install \'75 Jeep CJ How? Where get Parts?

Did my 74 with junk yard parts. All AMC V8's will have the same brackets and comp.. The sixes will have there own brackets. You can also try to find an old AMC Eagle for the compressor and brackets for a six. You will have to find a CJ with air for the under dash parts. Hoses from any full size or CJ will work or they can be made. As for the condenser you will have to find a CJ. Dryers can by found at any good auto parts stores. Cant help with the Wrangler system, but I am pretty sure you could make it fit. You could go with the kit and have all new parts, if you want to spend $1K. I grab CJ a/c parts when ever I find them. Good Luck, Vinny
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Try Arizona Air. They seem to have their head on straight. We found a stock CJ under-dash unit on this BBS, but the condenser will have to be bought from Arizona Air when the time comes to install it. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Vinny: Thanks for the Info. I have the 304 V8, so I can probably use the engine side stuff from lots of models/years. What kinds of Junkyards? U-Pullit or just Used Parts? Around here it is mostly Used Parts places.

CJDave: Arizona Air's site is ackits.com which is where I have found an aftermarket kit for '76 CJ. I am hoping the '75 and '76 are not very different as far as this aftermarket kit goes. I think the main differences are in the winshield tilt and maybe the dash look, but underdash should be about the same and engine compartment of the V8 should be very similar. Thanks for the info that they are good folks to deal with.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 02:00 PM

When I bought my '84 CJ7 it had a retrofitted YJ AC that didn't work. I stumbled into a complete YJ AC in the paper the same day I bought the <nobr>Jeep</nobr> so I jumped on it. Later I found that the one in the Jeep was wired wrong and was able to fix it, so now I have a complete (except for the little louvers in the dash unit) YJ AC sitting in the garage. You would need to fab some brackets and find a drive pully (mine is driven off of the alternator). I was told that it worked before the YJ was wrecked and parted out. All I could check on my work bench was that the blower motor works and that the compressor clutch snapped shut when voltage applied. If you would be interested in these parts PM me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

YJ AC in CJ hmmmmm.

How does the Ductwork fit? I was planning on an underdash placement of ducts, but there may be other options.

Any other thoughts out there??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Try the Junkyards.
2. Waggies have 'em...
3. It's almost a bolt up....
4. The systems are a bit larger,
5. Than the CJ units,
6. That's a good thing...
7. If you need AC.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks Leve. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Another good excuse to go junkyard shopping.

Does anyone know what year AC systems switched from R12 to R134? I guess I can get an R12 system and convert it, just wondering...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Does anyone know what year AC systems switched from R12 to R134? I guess I can get an R12 system and convert it, just wondering...

[/ QUOTE ]1. I think it was about 1992.
2. R134 will escape hoses,
3. That are made for R12.
4. That's the reason for the conversion,
5. If you want to know more about AC,
6. May I suggest this site:

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:42 PM

I use "Freeze 12" in the Jeep and Suburban. It works great and doesn't require a conversion. It does require access to someone with a "comercial account" at the local parts store. It's fairly inexpensive, I paid $5.99 a can just last week for the wifes suburban when I replaced the compressor. It took 3 cans and that's with rear air. Requres an old R12 can tap and standard R12 manifold. Use R12 pressure recommendations as a guideline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode