4" lift vs. Sawzall for clearing 33s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

4\" lift vs. Sawzall for clearing 33s

Okay, I'm a couple weeks away from ordering up a Trail Master 4" lift for the CJ7. (I'm going with the trailmaster due to price $540 for springs, u-bolts, bushings, shocks and pitman arm--best price I've found on a 4" lift here in alaska so far, but I'm not quite done looking). However, I was wondering if it is possible to do a little creative sheetmetal work and clear 33's with stock suspension. Only reason I ask is I'm a big fan of keeping the CG as low as possible--attribute it to a roll over with a truck with far too much lift when I was 16. Anyhow, current plan is 4" Trail Master and if I go bigger than 33's later, chop the fenders.

Any pics of stock height CJ7s with 33's--either with or without cut out fenders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 04:08 PM

Re: 4\" lift vs. Sawzall for clearing 33s

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Anyhow, current plan is 4" Trail Master and if I go bigger than 33's later, chop the fenders.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would go with that.
I had 33's on mine with 1" shackle and 2" body lift and stock fenders. (and the 33's actually measured a true 31 7/8")
I would just hit before full flex.
And besides.........4" isn't really that big. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks DD. I sort a figured that would be the case. I can get a way with a bit because I'm running 33 x 9.50s, but that is only until I get my next set of tires. Better to do it once!

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 08:40 PM

Lift it,I run a 4" super lift and a 2"body lift and a 3/4"shackle lift,with a drop pitman arm,with 33x12.5 super swampers. Looks real good from the side,and it handels better on the road than it did,with the stock springs and a 2 " body lift and a 1 1/2" shackle lift. I dont have my sway bar disco's on yet and it stays on the road real nice,and no rubbing on the trails yet. P.S. I only got 3" of lift from my 4" lift kit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Even with my 4in superlift springs, i still would rub at all four corners. So i added stronger shackles and that gained another 3/4" . Still had the same problem, but not really bad in the back. The front hit hard. Then i added those daystart one inch body lift/mount pucks and the back stopped hitting but the front still hit. My fenders got so bent up from the tires hitting that i had to flat fender them. With the flat fender and at full flex, i just clear by about 3/4".

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode