258 stalls - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 05:51 PM
jamz900

258 stalls

Ok guys and gals, I am getting really mad at my 258. I have done the TFI and weber upgrade.But my <nobr>jeep</nobr> keeps stalling at idle. i checked the evorpaition canister but it is fine. Could the culprit be the ignition module? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 258 stalls

OK, but you need to give a bit more info about things. It stalls every time you try to let it idle? Just sitting in the driveway it won't idle at all?

Assumed 88 YJ, 258 with weber and TFI.

Manual or Automatic?
Idle speed (if it ever does)?
Manual fuel pump or electric?
Did it ever idle? What have you done since?

Just pushing your thread back to the top and asking a few of the many questions that are bound to be asked.

Good Luck

Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 06:05 AM
jamz900

Sorry for the lack of info, when I first got the jeep i would stall out when when you sat at a stop sign or pushed in the clutch going down a hill. So I installed a weber and TFI. But it still stalls. When I first start it up it will idle for about a min. then start idling rough and eventully stall unless I am there giving it more gas.Also it still stalls when I push in the clutch on a hill. When it does idle it stays around 900 rpms. It has a mechancial fuel pump and a manual tranny. The stalling will happen every once in a while in the winter but is more of a summer thing.Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Apprentice

Sounds like a possible vacuum leak to me. By it running better in winter seems to me to suggest it runs while the choke is engaged, which would hold the idle speed high enough to compensate.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Addict

I agree with the vacuum leak. take carb cleaner or a propane torch (unlit!) and spray around the carb and hose fittings. The area where you spray and the engine stalls or dies is the location of your leak. Replace the hose, fitting, gasket or tighten where appropriate and try again. When you fix the leak the symptoms will stop. You may need to check your timing or fuel mix after your fix to get them back to optimum operation.
Hopr this helps.

Scott
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM
jamz900

I have been looking and listening all around my engine and still can't find the problem. But I have been able to get it to idle and around 650 rpms untill it gets warm then the idel starts waving and eventully cuts out. I was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas of what might be making my jeep stall.Thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Way Outta Control

Listening around won't find the vacuum leak! Ears are not near sensitive enough unless the leak is huge!

To verify it's a vacuum leak, get it running, hold your hand over the top of the carb choking ot off slowly. If it runs bettrer it's a leak somewhere.

Spray around with a BURNABLE carb cleaner - most don't burn very well if at all. The "green" stuff is based on water - it won't work. Gumout works OK for this -- or use propane like suggested. To test if it's burnable enough, dribble a few drops down the carb's throat, if the R's increase it'll work.

Spray the burnable carb cleaner around carb base, vacuum lines, intake gaskets, booster, trans vac modulator, etc Look for an RPM change just like it did when you dribbled it down the throat.

Check base timing as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode