Auto-Trans info needed ASAP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Auto-Trans info needed ASAP

Just about to do a final mount on my TH350 after putting it in and out a ton and had a few questions.

The Torque Converter.. has fluid in it, but how much does it need/what type?

There's a drain/fill plug on the front.

I don't really know how the fluid works in these things, so any info would be appreciated.. I just don't want to have to put it up, then take it out and put it back in again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: Auto-Trans info needed ASAP

Better yet,

Does anyone have a GOOD write up of someone installing a TH350 in any truck.. I'm kind of lost here when it comes to auto-trannies.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:55 PM

I can't point you to a write up, but I can tell you the torque converter will be filled with fluid from the transmission after you start the engine. Make sure you fill the transmission to it's full mark before starting the engine for the first time, then fill it again with the engine running before you drive it.

I've got experience with the TH350 from my old '69 Camaro, so if you have problems feel free to ask. The only advice I have is to search the make sure you set the kickdown cable properly. There are plenty of write ups for that on the internet if you don't have a manual to tell you how to do it.

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

I've got a good idea on the kickdown..

and I took my 2 trannies appart this evening and swapped some parts over (some leaky stuff is no longer leaking)

But I don't see how the T/C will be filled from the tranny.. oh well, I'll take your word for it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Besides that is there anything auto-tranny (oh.. and besides filling it to the line.. running and filling again) is there anything deadly important I should know.?

thanks again.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Good transmission mechanics will dump some tranny fluid into the torque converter before slapping the tranny /converter assembly together. That will prevent a "dry start" and preserve the bearings in the converter. And one more thing.......be sure that the little ears on the converter go into the notches of the oil pump and that the converter has a little bit of "float" endways. You shove it all the way back and then pull it forward just a scooch to contact the flex plate. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 07:03 AM

One other tip I just learned recently...

You should use emery cloth or sandpaper to clean all the paint and/or rust off the nipple of the torque converter and the inside of the crank where they meet. Once you've got them both clean, test fit the torque converter in the crank and make sure it fits snuggly, but slides in without any binding. When you're ready for final assembly, grease the inside of the crank and the torque converter nipple.

This process allows for slight misalignements and "wobbling" that will occur while it's running to keep from causing the t/c to bind inside the crank. I've broken three flexplates in the last 6 or so months, and not greasing seems to have been the cause.

Dave's right, you should fill the t/c with fluid so it's full when standing upright (like it will be while you're installing it). I didn't mention it because your first post stated it already had fluid in it.

Something else I've done over the years is run Ford's Type F fluid in my GM trannys. According to research I did long ago it provides firmer shifts, therefore less heat buildup and less wear. I can't really confirm that, but I ran it in my Camaros, now I'm running it in the TH400 in my CJ. I've never had problems.

Clay
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok, another question.

I was planning on bolting the T/C to the flexplate.. then adding the tranny to the mix.

I don't have a floor/tranny jack, and this thing is going to be heavy enough as it is.

Will this be possible? or do I have to do it the other way around.

My thinking was that once I get the T/C bolted up, and the tranny splines in the TC.. it will be MUCH easier to align the location studs and bolt holes.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:07 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I was planning on bolting the T/C to the flexplate.. then adding the tranny to the mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, No, No don't do it that way, even if you managed to get it together without damaging the seal, it would be impossable to feel the pump notches line up. and if they are not lined up you ruin the pump &amp; T.C.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I don't have a floor/tranny jack

[/ QUOTE ]

Go buy a cheap floor jack if nothing else, but not one of those mini ones. around here you can even rent them.

Although in my younger years I did put them on my chest and get them in but that was a TH350 in a car but that could be part of the reason why my back gave out on me a few years ago. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:11 PM

It's technically possible to bolt up the t/c first, but without a floor jack to help with transmission alignment I don't recommend it. Here's why...

It's critical that the torque converter be fully seated into the transmission, just like Dave talked about. If you bolt the torque converter onto the flexplate then try to lift the transmission up to it, you won't be very able to rotate the torque converter and feel it 'click' into the transmission.

The two open tab areas on the torque converter 'snout' fit over tabs on the transmission oil pump. If those aren't aligned correctly you will trash your transmission very quickly. You must slide the torque converter into the transmission and rotate it while pushing on it to feel it slip down into the correct position. Once you think it's seated properly, take a straight edge and lay it over the bellhousing. There should be close to an inch of clearance between the straight edge and the front of the torque converter. If you don't have that clearance, keep twisting and pushing to seat it further.

I've installed TH350s and TH400s at least 8 times and only had help twice, and only had a transmission jack once. I find with the 350 that it's easiest to lay under the vehicle with my feet under the engine and my head towards the rear, roll the transmission onto my stomach, then use my knees to help lift it into place. Make sure the alignment tabs are in the engine, and make sure you have two bolts handy to quickly secure the transmission when you've got it in place.

Clay
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:17 PM

One other thing that I didn't mention before because you live in Canada...

The thing that kept killing TH350s in my old Camaro was heat. If you don't have an auxiliary cooler for your transmission, consider getting one, especially for heavy duty or hot weather use. When I finally installed a cooler in series with my radiator cooler, I quit having problems. I ran my auxiliary cooler in series with the stock one and had the fluid go through the aux cooler first. That way in the winter time the radiator heat would keep the transmission fluid from being too cold. There are other ways to do it, but that's what I would recommend for you up north.

Let us know how this turns out,

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode