Wiring Harness source for CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Wiring Harness source for CJ

Now that I have finished the Weber install on my 84 CJ-7,
I have started to go through the wirng harness and vacuum lines and begun to yank out a lot of un-needed wires etc.
When I opened up the wire loom to start stripping out wires, I noticed that the PO had been in there and had done some really funky splices all over the place, UGH!!!! I am thinking that this would be a perfect time to just plain replace the engine portion of the harness. My plan is to get a new harness for an '80 model (pre computer). As I look at the catalogs I have it looks like a $400.00 + investment. Is there an inexpensive source out there for a replacement? I would consider a used harness, as long as it is in good shape. Wiring is one place I don't want to cut corners. But a buck is a buck.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Wiring Harness source for CJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
When I opened up the wire loom to start stripping out wires, I noticed that the PO had been in there and had done some really funky splices all over the place, UGH!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to say but it might not have been the prior owner. I first noticed some funky splices covered with duct tape in Jackson's 1984 and thought is was some prior owner as you did. But I have found the same thing in my 1985 and I bought it in 1986, pretty sure no one had gotten into the harnesses. And the same quality splices in the 1983 Scrambler so I'm thinking that AMC's harness vendor was a bit cheap.

BTW most of the splices that I found are the main power lines running everything.

Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 05:31 PM

Absolutely right about the funky factory splices. I KNOW because I bought my '78 new, and found the duct tape splices when I did the restoration last year.

One thing though, I don't think that's really duct tape. After all these years duct tape would be brittle, and the glue would have turned to dust. When I took them apart the tape was still sticky and flexible.

I just redid them with solder, liquid electrical tape and heat-shrink. I don't expect them to ever cause a problem.

If the factory harness is still in good condition, that is it hasn't been butchered and the insulation is still flexible, I'd suggest improving the splices, replace tape as needed, and put it back. Having the factory harness can be a big advantage, because it's well documented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I just redid them with solder, liquid electrical tape and heat-shrink. I don't expect them to ever cause a problem.

If the factory harness is still in good condition, that is it hasn't been butchered and the insulation is still flexible, I'd suggest improving the splices, replace tape as needed, and put it back. Having the factory harness can be a big advantage, because it's well documented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly !

If you invest a little time and work the original harness should out last the Jeep.

Funny about the splices, even the US Army had found heat-shrink prior to 1979 (when I got out). And it's use in machine tool harnesses came before that. Likely invented for aero space applications but widely used in every industry from the 1980's or earlier.

But we digress....

The only harness source that is mentioned over and over would be Painless Wiring. I have never used their products (I would make my own if required) but here's a link to their web site if you haven't already been there.

Painless Performance Products

Good Luck

Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:12 PM

While not Jeep specific, they are comparably inexpensive.
EZ Wiring
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

I bought the the Centech harness for my 74. Good price and the quality appears excellent. Haven't installed it yet though.....but soon.
www.centech.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I don't think that is the correct web site....

Try this one: Centech Online Wiring and Automotive Accessories

Dale
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

ooooops, boy, is my face red..... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Official Curmudgeon

As stated above, those may be factory splices you're looking at. If you found the gray tape rather than black vinyl, there is a reason for it. The vinyl won't hold up to the temperature changes as well. It hardens and the adhesive dries out.

Also, you can't just go plugging the engine portion of the harness from one year into the main harness from another year. You need to check the pin configuration at the firewall connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode