O/T - Cuttin 1/2 inch steel with oxy torch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

O/T - Cuttin 1/2 inch steel with oxy torch

Well my dads gf is big into the SASS shooting (thats single action cowboy shootin for those who don't know) and she wants me to make her a few targets for practicing with. We got a gas welder setup from her fathers estate and I haven't tried to use it yet but I'm wonderin how well I can cut 1/2 with it. I've cut 1/4 inch in high school with a torch but never anything as thick as she wants. Any big difference in cutting it? She doesn't care much about the appearance of the outside edge so I'm not worried much about that. What settings do you recommend for the gasses? 5 acetyline and 40 oxy or am I remembering that way off? Gimme a quick refresher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T - Cuttin 1/2 inch steel with oxy torch

I cannot really explain to you how to set it, but I cut 1" with mine no problem. just have to pre heat it plenty.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Way Outta Control

8-10 Acet, 25-30 oxy to start. You can always increase oxy if it's not blasting hard enough, or Acet if it's not hot enough.
Cutting thick stuff is mainly a function of the tip - most will do 1/2" fine. They use oxy/acetylene to cut 5-6" or more with a special tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

RRICH what would the setting be if you used propane insted of Acetylene?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Official Historian

Just bring it here and we'll use the plasma cutter. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 AM
BigJ

Just make sure the tip (all of the pre-heat holes and center oxy hole) are clean. I cut 1" plate to make a "gong" for my 300 Win Mag. Cutting thicker stuff is not a function of pressure per se, it is a function related to the volume of gas (oxygen) from the tip. 25/5 works fine for me. Using something other than Acetylene as a preheat fuel makes no difference on how thick a piece you can cut. It just may take a little longer for the steel to reach kindling temperature before you dump oxygen on the carbon.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 07:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Cutting 1/2" plate is no problem at all, and you should be able to use 40 on the oxy and 8-10 on the gas. Just keep in mind that you'll need to reduce the speed of cut a little and not move quite so fast. Actually, half-inch is nice to cut because it's thick enough to cut well, yet isn't so thick that you have to use any special technique. I cut inch plate all the time using a Size 0 tip in my Victor "Super Range" cutting head. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 02:32 PM

1/2" for SASS? All of my SASS knock downs and gongs are 3/8". I shoot .44/40 and .44 mag loaded to .44 special velocities with "Lasercast" 200g RNFP bullets and never even dented the 3/8". (Although a fully loaded .44 mag with 180g jacketed HP punched a nice hole in one once.) I also use them for .45 ACP with 210g RNFP with no problems. 3/8" is much cheaper and lighter wt (easier to carry and set up). But in answer to your question a #0 or #1 cutting tip with Acc at 5-7 and O2 at 20-30 should make short, clean, work of cutting 1/2" steel.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 06:58 PM

Nick not trying to hijack your thread ,,,but,,,, Just how many people here on this board are SASS members?

Detective Siringo #23191 at your service [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode