304 exhaust ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

304 exhaust ideas

I did some searches on the use of headers and found that most people feel that with headers you lose bottom end torque. I've got a set of in frame headers that I thought about putting on since my exhaust is falling apart. I had one muffler shop quote me $280 for a set of duals out the back. I'm not sure if I really want duals. I kinda thought about having them make a Y pipe and take it out the stock way. Which way would be a. less expensive b. give better torque. Right now I'm not running a muffler, just a cat. converter. Its actually not too loud. I thought about getting rid of the cat and instead using a muffler, as Its now old enough not to have to be smogged[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: 304 exhaust ideas

I'm running in-frame headers with full dual exhaust and two mufflers. I like it and it works well. I don't know if you'd feel a difference in torque with a Y pipe or not. An idea I wish I had when I did my exhaust was to use a muffler with 2 in and 1 out to act as my Y pipe. It would have saved me the cost of a muffler. But because I did my own exhaust I had to make it super simple and there's nothin simpler than two pipes and two mufflers. The price quote sounds good too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

After having headers, I'd do Stock Manifolds if I was to do it over. Headers hang down below the frame rails about an inch. With the stock manifolds, you can route them up inside the frame rails. not to mention the Clutch adjuster and Brake proportioing valve are within an inch of the Header and collector. That's a little tight in my opinion.

As for dual vs. Y pipe? I like my duals, and I like the sound of them... but then again, I like the sound of my buddies Single exhaust 304 too. Can't say I've come to a conclusion on that part, but a pro that the Single pipe has there is that's just that much less crap you have under the Jeep taking up room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] My take on this is that a LARGE SINGLE beats duals, and it is easier to find places to put everything. As long as the wye pipe is well crafted, I DOUBT if you would be losing anything to losses, and in fact may be enhancing the low end torque. My favorite thing is a Flowmaster two-in-one-out setup with a three-inch tailpipe. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Headers are not always a wise investment since you ONLY GAIN if there is an exhaust restriction that the stock setup absolutely cannot overcome, and in a Jeep, how many times to you rev past five grand anyway? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Veteran

i am assuming that you have a 304 or larger motor...

as far as running exhaust on a 77...

1) you should not need a cat - check ohio laws, but i know that a cat was not required on my 78 cj-5's in VA, not was it standard equipment
2) do not run headers, PITA
3) stock manifolds with 2.25 duals no cats through dual 40 series flows is what i have runnign behind my 360, for a 304 maybe 2 1/8 or 2 inch - i am also running an edelbrock performer intake with a q-jet and MSD-6 (though if i had to do it over again i would have gone with the 50 series flows - little quieter)

i would stay away form headers unless you are just doing mud/sand runs, stick with your maifolds and a well set up exhaust.

btw...

i paid under $300 for my exhaust - custom pipes (stainless 2.25) from the manifolds back through the flows and out the back

-web
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:48 PM

Roland, if you can't get it done for a fair price how you want it let me know. I bet I can help you out around me. You will have to let me know exactly what you are looking for. But I could make some calls to get an idea of cost if you need the help. Don't let them rape you. You're not that far from me.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dont go with a stock style Y pipe. With anykind of lift you will run into problems with the driveshaft hitting it or the ypipe hanging toooo low.

I will never have headers on my cj, they are just to much of a PITA. My manifolds lasted 23 years before one of them cracked and that was only because there was a bolt broken, from probably day one. Duals may breathe better, but we are only talking about a 304 in a jeep and like CJ dave said, how often do you see 5 grand.

I ended up wrapping my exhaust around the front of the motor, then down the passenger side. I went down the passenger side for two reasons. One i plan to go with a cable for the auto shift and didnt want any problems with the cable being near the exhaust and two, to get the heat off of the drivers side floor.

The pipes in the front are either 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 (i forget), then after they come together i went to 3in to get the sound i wanted and to just pimp alittle with that big ole tailpipe. View my posts from maybe a month or three ago and you will find some pics of the exhaust. They arent the pics pics but you should get the idea.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Addict

pontiac58, Just curious, did you do the exhaust work yourself or did a local shop do it? I live near Atlantic City and need my exhaust reworked ('77 CJ-7 w/304). I have the same issues with a 4" lift, swapped transfer case and no clearance for the front driveshaft. Any info/help would be appreciated. Thanks,
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I had a local shop do it. I dont have a exhaust bender, yet. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

They do a lot of work for one of our customers at work and came highly recommended. So i went with them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Addict

Thanks Pontiac. The shop you used doesn't happen to be anywhere near ACity does it? I actually live in Galloway. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode