Engine oil expertise requested on new oil... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Engine oil expertise requested on new oil...

Just came across a 'new' "AMC HD oil" apparently designed for AMC V8's and 258's.

Since I know next to nothing about oil (other than it's slippery [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), I'm interested in what you (much smarter than me) guys think...

Announcement here: http://bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic....7637073f9ae0b9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Skip

Re: Engine oil expertise requested on new oil...

Just run a good brand and change it on a regular basis. I change at 5000 miles unless I'm running in extreme dust, dirt, or water. With todays engines and oils some people have told me 5000 is to often. Old habits die hard [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Official Curmudgeon

SCAM - - SCAM - - SCAM - - SCAM - - SCAM - - SCAM - - SCAM - - SCAM

This guy has been around here trying to peddle his wares for a while, stainless steel shackles, key rings, and all sorts of junk.

Back when LEVE was monitor, he posted about the shackles with a link to his website. I noticed his sham, shill sales techniques and posted about it here. There was a thread where somebody asked where to buy the shackles. 2 minutes later came the pitch, then 4 minutes later the endorsement for another board member. TOO CONVINIENT. I cant find the thread now, after I questioned its authenticity, it looks like he deleted it.

I also posted a link to his less than flattering feedback on ebay. At that point he whined to LEVE about me posting PERSONAL information about him (the link to his ebay rating page) and got LEVE to delete the thread.

He probably bought a bunch of cheap oil and had labels printed up to put on it. Notice that AMC is on the label but none of the registered Jeep/AMC trademarks. Note that he even used a different font for the C than in the standard AMC. I know hes not an oil company and Id say no way he could afford to even have a special run of bottles labeled for him, much less a special batch of oil made. If theres any additives in it, Id say they came from him urinating in it.

Hes a member of this board with username jeepsr4ever.

Me I use Kendall 10w-30 and change approximately every 3333, every time the last 4 digits of the odometer are all 3s, 6s or zeros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Way Outta Control

Sure sounds like a scam - "specifically designed for AMC engines"?????
HA!

But then, I've been looking for a Windex type product for cleaning Jeep windshields - "specifically designed for flat windshields." I wonder if he has some?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 05:20 PM

You would think he'd learn to check his grammar if he's going to be pushing his re-bottled Pennzoil...

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sean
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've gotta admit I cringed when I saw the link starting with www.bulltear.com.........because I knew it was the same guy peddling stuff earlier. This guy is the worst salesmen I've ever found. He was trying to sell keychains for $20 a peice. I wouldn't buy a single thing from this guy.............and I think him owning a peice of the internet and a forum will just screw over Jeepers who don't know any better. Stay away from anything he's got.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny but I was thinking that by just following the link to the BBS posting about the oil. Who is going to develop oil based on twenty year old technology (much already replaced).

After reading the balance of the thread so far.... guess my gut reactions are still alive.

Me I use Kendall 10w-30 and change approximately every 3333, every time the last 4 digits of the odometer are all 3s, 6s or zeros.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting system, can't say I have ever come across that system before. Having a much shorter attention span I simply jot down the mileage and date at each change and try not to let it get over 4k miles or six months. With my Jeeps it's typically time not miles, the work car is another thing.

Dale
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 08:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Taz, your 3's, 6's and 0's is the simplest formula I've ever seen to help remember service. Thanks.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[/ QUOTE ]

I know TAZ ...Suck just one .... and you're a sucker for life [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

...but not so fast there

The weight and accompaning rhetoric [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] describes a conventional Group II or Group II+ HDEO (heavy duty engine oil) that is typically used in diesel engines. They DO have most of the properties that he describes in his little post there.

Delvac 1300
Dello 400

Some are available in 10w-30 ..but the vast majority and most widely used is/are 15w-40 ..as opposed to the Group III or Group IV synthetics (Rotella, Delvac I, ect.) which are 5w-40. They have vastly superior detergent packages to conform to the current soot control OEM requirements dictated by the diesel engine manufacturers.

So ..it is surely just repackaged diesel engine oil...but is he a liar?? Aside from the "gets into your oil pump gears" type stuff (which is marketing "hype") ..NO.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Official Curmudgeon

...but not so fast there

[/ QUOTE ]

...but is he a liar??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running a special of my own this week only. Because of demand, I have to limit this offer to members of this bbs with a 2 star or higher rating.

I have managed to acquire a number of portraits of George Washington made from professionally engraved government printing plates. These are priced at only $20 each. Don't delay, get yours now! I must limit this offer to 5 portraits per member.

How many should I put you down for?

Send me your $20 and I'll send you back a 1 cent stamp. I never lied but it's still a scam.

By the way the oil is labeled, he's IMPLYING that it is something specially formulated for AMC engines. He doesn't tell you it is, but purposely designed the label to cause consumers to jump to that conclusion.

GW Bush never said that Iraq was involved in 9/11. He just mentioned Iraq and 9/11 in the same sentence but many drew the conclusion he was going for.

PT Barnum advertised a "Man Eating Chicken". Sure enough, there was a man, sitting at a table, eating chicken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode