useful wrecker parts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
oakjeep

useful wrecker parts?

I have a '79 CJ-7 with the usual set up of straight six, t-150 and Dana 20. I have been looking around the salvage yards and talking to friends looking heavy duty stuff for cheap, especially a 4 speed tranny. However, I just contracted to buy this old mechanics garage to convert into a business (yeah!)and sitting in the yard, not running, is an early '70's model dodge dually wrecker. this thing is huge! Would this have an NP 435? looks similiar, just peeking under the chassis. also, it has the pto drive off it to run the huge winch off the back, would the pto be useful or a deal spoiler? what rear axle does it run? don't want to throw away anything useful, when i get the goodies off, the rest is hauled away.

thanks
OakJeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 07:19 AM

Re: useful wrecker parts?

PTO certainly isn't a spoiler. It can be used to drive a bumper-mounted winch via shafts, or run a hydraulic pump to run a winch (no comparison to a winch driven off the power steering pump.) Either is a terrific setup; much more powerful than an electric winch.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Dear Oak Jeep, [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My experience with tow trucks is that by the time THEY rest amoung a few of the cars that they towed into the back lot, not much is left under the floor. The six-kazillion times that the operator put the PTO in gear with the main box still spinning will often have the PTO drive gear worn pretty badly, and the clutch will usually be blamo as well. There never seems to be time to MAINTAIN the tow truck so the engine will most likely be sludge city. NOW.....it is sometimes possible to FLIP the PTO unit to the other side of the main box......especially if a front winch is used........and in THAT case, you would be using the other side of the main box PTO gear. Also keep in mind that most wrecker setups are GRAVITY-DOWN so there will be NO REVERSE in that PTO unit. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
most wrecker setups are GRAVITY-DOWN so there will be NO
REVERSE in that PTO unit

[/ QUOTE ]

In which case you use the PTO to run a hydraulic pump, like modern wreckers. And you could put a pressure gauge in the system to get an idea about how hard the system is working. A big disadvantage of the shaft drive is that there's no indication of strain until the cable snaps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:21 AM
oakjeep

Thanks guys.

I will be able to check out the wrecker in more detail when I take full possession of the property. I will have to really go over the tranny and all for excessive wear. Another goody, the truck has a large metal lock box on the back, just the right size to go in the back of my CJ. I may try to use the large winch in my shop, modified to be stationary.

again thanks
OakJeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] A very good suggestion on that PTO shaft-drive hydraulic pump. There is often insufficient room on a one-ton and smaller truck to hang a "Wet Kit" with the PTO-and-Pump as a single unit hanging on the tranny. Using a shaft-driven remote pump would enable him to position the pump in "spaces available", wherever they might occur. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode