o/t but i need some help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:50 PM
spider10382

o/t but i need some help

My girlfriend just bought a 01 vw golf not even a gti [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I tried for the jeep but she didnt like that shell just take my car whenever its convenient! Any ways she went back to the dealer to get another key. The one they gave her is the standatd vdub flip key with the alarm controls on it. Well it seems that any time you bring this thing near the car it sets off the alarm thus rendering the key useless. Plus there is a light on the key that has been flashing for two days now. I figure its a programming problem but I dont know how to reprogram any ideas? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: o/t but i need some help

Sounds like she needs to go back to the dealership and complain until they fix the issue. She paid for an extra key and it doesn't work.....thats their problem to deal with and not either of yours. I'm sure it wasn't a cheap key either, so let them make it straight.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:14 PM
spider10382

well i think they gave her the key free since it obviously old and beat to hell but I guess they had to replace the battery first. I already dont like this place. she managed to get this whole thing done before I even had a chance to get down there with her and I already want to go knock out a couple of their windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Official Curmudgeon

It would help if you were clearer with your post. Which key is the problem? The one that originally came with the car or a second one she got? Did she pay for another key or did they provide it?

If it's the original key that came with the car, many states have laws that you can take the car back and annul the deal within 30 days of the purchase. I'm sure they'd rather fix the key than loose the sale.

If she bought a second key, how did she pay for it? If she put it on a credit card, call the credit card company and explain the problem. They should tell you to just return the key to the dealer and it will be deducted from her card.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:25 PM
spider10382

okay sorry let me clarify the situation. The key is the second one that she went to get. she actually went back the day after the sale. With a little convincing from her dad they gave her the key for free. I just talked to her to find out the sales person completley avoided her the entire time and they had to go through someone else. I guess the key she got had a dead battery or was not programed or something because her dad went and got a new battery which they didnt know how to install at the dealership [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] he installed it and now even having the key in range of the car sets off the alarm. I thought it may be a problem with the alarm itself but I have had the car all day at work and it has yet to go off. Like I said before she takes my car when the weathers nice and the tops off! [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img] Anyways I think I am going to take the key down to the dealership on my day off. Cant bring it in her car since it will set the alarm off. I think the ownersmanual may have an explanation as to how to reprogram it but what worries me is the flashing light anyone know what that is for?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but what worries me is the flashing light anyone know what that is for?

[/ QUOTE ]

No not really sure.... but D'oh could it be the alarm???

Good Luck

Dale
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 06:08 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Usually an extra key has to be recognized by the cars sytem first. My guess is they haven't matched it to the cars system. This key still is not usable for alarm and keyless entry and use. There is a procedure to let the car recognize this new key. No idea how, it should be written in the owners manual or the dealer should know how. Get the owners manual or borrow one from someone who has a same year Golf.

The flashing probably is part of the recognition procedure.

Reason why it sets of the alarm is the chip in this key still doesn't belong to a system and can be matched to another system then your golfs'. It's a warning mechanism that an unidentified key is near. My bet is it also sets off other Golf alarms. The dealer never should have given the key in a non identified mode.

Pretty sure this is whats wrong with your new key....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I just had a wonderful stroke of evil. If it really does set off other VW car alarms, go to the dealership with the key in your pocket and walk around until someone figures out you're the one setting off all the alarms and then tell them you need they key fixed or you'll keep wandering the lot and setting off the alarms. Wear your ear protection and it'll be a grand 'ole day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode