Make my own driveshafts??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Make my own driveshafts???

I need some driveshafts for my SOA CJ7. I have several different shafts laying around. What is the best way to cut and weld some shafts? I have enough of them that I can use 2 complete shafts to get the proper length, and then sleeve over the weld. Is it okay to use a small diameter front shaft for a rear shaft? Will the standard travel yoke from a CJ offer enough travel for my SOA setup? Normally, I would just have a set of shafts made, but I am in the middle of some upgrades and just want to get rolling again. I will probably be doing a tranny swap soon. So tell me how have you made your own shafts in the past.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:05 PM

Re: Make my own driveshafts???

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is it okay to use a small diameter front shaft for a rear shaft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom I would stay away from using the small dia shaft on the rear. it will be taking the entire torque and weight of the <nobr>Jeep</nobr> where on the front it is only taking a small % of it.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have enough of them that I can use 2 complete shafts to get the proper length, and then sleeve over the weld.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again this is not the normal way to make a shaft. The best bet would be to use a longer shaft and cut it down to fit the weld the end with the yoke on. By using 2 shafts and cutting them to butt against each other you will have a vibration issue especially if you sleeve the joint.

You may even have a vibration issue if you use the 1st option stated.

I have seen some very strange shaft make ups from square tubing to 3" pipe used as shafts, but these were used only as a spare to get out of the woods so to speak.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My opinion:

For an off road only rig you might be able to make your own driveshafts, likely not from other driveshafts.

If you want to drive it on the highway at speed, in traffic there is no way.

The rear shaft of a CJ7 out of balance will keep you under 45 mph (maybe less) and wishing the next exit was now.

Good Luck

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:41 PM

I sleved adn welded mine..

I'm counting on luck.. if im lucky it will be ballanced and good to go.. if not, I'll shell out hte $80 and get it done properly.. worth a try.. just take it slow the first time out
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I've made several drivelines right in the shop when time was an issue and we HAD to get the rig on the road. I always used a longer shaft and ground the weld off the spline end until I could coax the spline out of there. Then I used a Rigid pipe cutter to get a nice straight cut and tapped the spline into it. Then I set the shaft on some little vee blocks we had and rolled it over till the weld section of the spline was running straight, then we tacked the spline section in three places. Then I welded it while my helper rolled the shaft for me. We could not balance the shaft, but they were usually close enough to get the job done. Under no circumstance would I add an extension to the tubing as a way of making a longer shaft. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 AM
GrandCJ

Thatís exactly what we did CJDave. Started with a shaft from the front of a Cherokee, ground down the weld, cut to length with a pipe cuter and re-welded it. Worked out great.

John [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 07:22 AM

I just made a rear drive shaft for my SOA CJ7. I use a drive shaft from a 2 wheel drive Chevy truck and cut it down. It uses the same diameter tube and the same u-joints. I actaully was able to make 3 shafts using parts from old CJ shafts that I had lying around. I only have a slight vibration problem with at freeway speeds without them being balanced.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

Well, the weekend before a big trip I decided to go wheelin and twisted the rear shaft. So the night before I was to leave I cut out the twisted portion, slipped a 2" sch40 pipe over what was left, lined up the joints and tacked it together. Then I mounted it up in jeep with rear tires off ground and spun it and beat it with hammer untill it was straight and welded it. Then I started it up and spun tires to check for vibrations and it had some. So I got a 3/8" rod about 2" long and hose clamped it to the shaft. Moved it around untill vibrations stopped and welded it on. My testing method showed its good untill about 90mph, a speed which the jeep will never go. Works great, no vibrations. Also a very strong shaft. I've dropped about the entire weight of jeep on it and spun it a few times, ran it into ledges, etc. Couldn't do that with a standard .095" wall driveshaft. My front shaft is the stock one cut in half and sleeved with 1 1/4" sch40 pipe, no effort was made to make it straight as I don't go fast enough in 4wd to matter.

The standard travel slip yokes work unless you have a reverse shackled front, in which case you could use square tubing for that.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

These are great responses. My main purpose for building my own shafts is saving money. I would rather wait and get "built" shafts when the tranny/stretch are complete. I actually think I have 2 shafts that will work without modification. I just need to replace the u-joints. How can I tell if they are all 1310 joints or some other joint? Also both shafts are small diameter front shafts. I thought that these shafts were small only for clearance issues, and that they actually have a thicker wall to compensate for there size. Am I correct?

Thanks,

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The torque-carrying ability of a tube depends on two things: DIAMETER and WALL THICKNESS. It is also a fact that there is a lot more weld holding (12.57") on a 4" diameter driveline than there is on a 2" driveline (6.28"), so the little guys have to be quite beefy, and the welds better be good......they have a lot to hold when the tube is only 2" and there is a big engine reefing on it. The factoreee knows this so they use bigger diameter tube when space permits........it just makes their job a little easier. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode