Question about lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 11:52 AM
DaMoose

Question about lift

Hey guys/gals,

I have a question about a new lift I am working on putting together piece by piece for my TJ. I bought 8 adjustable control arms that adjust out for accomodating up to 7" of lift. 2 Adjustable trackbars, extended rear links, extended brake lines, and drop pitman arm. What I still need to pick up are 4 coils and the SYE/CV Driveshaft combo. I am looking at an advanced adapters sye kit and atom woods driveshaft, so that isn't too big of deal, but I can get a real good price on some 5.5" coils. Will these coils work well with these arms, or am I going to end up running into problems just using adjustable arms and not going long arm? Long arm would require saving til next year and getting it around spring time. Oh, I also have a 1" body lift and will be running 35" thornbirds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Question about lift

I gathered from you profile that you have a sport TJ, with a D35 Rear axle, and the 4 dinger of a modivation factor.
I gather from your post that you are going to go with a minimum of 5.5" of suspension lift, and a 3" body lift. And run 35" thorn-tur#s.

Where to begin. Your question was will the springs work with the arms you have.
Yeah, you say your arms are adjustable, so with some fine tuning you could have a pretty good system. But I fear that once you got it working correctly you wouldn't have a chance to really use it, cause your jeep would always be broken.
General rules. D35 max tire size 33" and even then you are pushing your luck. You may get away with 35's off-road because you only have the 2.5L motor.. But on the road that 2.5L and the 35" tires are going to be pretty dog like. Unless you regear you are going to be hurting for power on the hiway.
The general concess is that throwing money at a D35 to regear is not a good Idea.
Body lifts over 1" are not well liked around here.
And save yourself the disapointment. IF you are going to spend the $ for Offroad tires, don't get the Thorn-tur$s. Ask around your local area and see what others are running. I myself always like to suggest the 33" BFG MT's. For your situation I would say 33" MT's use your 5.5" springs and really tune your bars. You will have exellent flex, and an overall nice set up.
Please don't take offence to what I have said.
Happy jeeping, keep asking questions, and always lean new things about your ride.
This is a great board. And there is a lot to learn.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:40 PM
DaMoose

Well, I have the 6 cyl, the super 35 kit is on it's way and the new alloy shafts for the 30 front will be ordered soon. I hear what you are saying about the re-gearing. I am going to be throwing 4.56 in it, as if I wanted to go higher, I would most definately have to change out the axles due to the gears becoming smaller and prone to breaking. The thornbirds just look nice..that's really the only reason I wanted them. The mudding will be left up to the 35" walmart mud terrains that I get pretty cheap [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] God Bless WalMart!! Umm, so you don't think I will have any issues with running the 5.5" lift with the adjustable arms? Also, the body lift I have is a 1" and I also have a 1" motor mount lift. Anyways, thanks for hte reply, and no I won't get offended by anything a fellow jeeper has to say unless it's "Like my new H2?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

DaMoose
I stand corrected.
Sounds like you have really done your homework, and you know exactly what you are doing, and what you want. It is true, the thorn- whatevers are an "interesting" looking tire. with "interesting" being pretty subjective.
I think the TSL's look cool, and they will kick some serous dirt off the road.

Happy Jeeping.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:19 AM

Olin I'm not even going to start with you and your misinformation [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Now to answer the question 5.5" coils and short arms is pushing it big time. It will work but there's no chance your suspension geometry will be any where near stock. Ride will suffer along with handling and the suspension being out of wack. If you trailer your rig most of the time and are trying to use what you have on a budget i'd run with it. If i were you I'd use a set of 3.5" or true 4" coils (search around about different coils and how true to advertised height they are, RE and terra coils usually run taller than advertised) and proper bump stops. You can and people do run 35's on a tj with 3-4" of lift if you don't mind a little rubbing or loss of 50 rit points. I wasn't into wheeling when the TJ first came out so this is 2nd or 3rd hand but terra's kit to run 35's on a tj was just their basic 3" springs, bump stop extensions, track bar bracket, and a 1" body lift.

As far as thrud birds go they are a good sand dune tire though i'm not sure how much you have in NY. They are bias ply and flat spot and drive like any other bias swamper on the road. I have seen them cut to work alright at the badlands (lots of muddy hills and rock gardens).

I hope this helped a little

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I was under the impression that the control arms "were" long arms. If in fact they are not... then yes, I probably gave some bad advise. It would not be the first time I made a wrong assumption that came back to bite me. I fear that it probably won't be the last ether [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:09 AM

Not just on the arms read and have some read world experiance backing your posts not just hearsay
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I just re-read this whole post.... Wow did I miss the boat.
I wasn't even at the right dock.
Sorry about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode