Acceleration Hesitation / Vibration?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 11:41 AM
msquared

Acceleration Hesitation / Vibration??

Hey all,

Over the last couple of days I've had a strange thing happening. I accelerate gently off the line, revs climbing evenly and smoothly, it'll be rocking back and forth a bit. The tach still shows the revs going smoothly though. Perhaps just a crappy tach or the rocking is throwing off my perspective a tad. Shift to 2nd. Same thing. Smooth gentle rocking back and forth but still accelerating. Put my foot in so it's a rather aggresive acceleration and it goes away. Whether it's just getting masked or goes away completely is not clear. 3rd gear shows the symptoms a little, but 4th and 5th it's nowhere to be seen.

I haven't even wheeled with the steelies I got put on a few weeks ago yet so I don't think the tires have spun on the wheels. This is so strange because it happens at such a slow speed.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 01:49 PM
msquared

Re: Acceleration Hesitation / Vibration??

Anybody? I got the following tips from rubiconownersforum.com.

-Alright, so I checked for engine codes last night... nothing.
-My girlfriend is gonna run the tank down today to 20km past the fuel light, and then throw in some 89 octane to ensure that if it's just bad fuel it's all gone.
-If that doesn't work, I'll set the PCM to Fast Learn Mode. I'm going camping/wheeling this weekend... is it a good idea to do this before a weekend of beating on the truck?? If it'll be better, I guess I'll do this either way.
-If that doesn't work, then I'll make an appointment to reset the distributor synch to zero degrees.

Anybody have anythin to add, or other thoughts perhaps?

Thanks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 02:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I accelerate gently off the line, revs climbing evenly and smoothly, it'll be rocking back and forth a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define the term "rocking" are you talking about the <nobr>Jeep</nobr> moveing from side to side or lurching like a miss on acceleration?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
so I don't think the tires have spun on the wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what has the tires spinning in the wheels got to do with a tac operation?

Or are you saying the Jeep has a swaying or "rocking motion from side to side while traveling at a low speed, then this will more than likely be a wheel issue,,, maybe!!!! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 03:09 PM
msquared

By rocking, it's rocking fore and aft, more like "lurching like a miss on acceleration". However it's a very soft lurch that goes away with more fuel. And it doesn't happen at higher speeds.

re: tires spinning in wheels, I thought at first there may have been a drivetrain issue. And perhaps the wheels being out of balance could have been the culprit. I checked all of the rims and the weights appeared to all still be there. So the tires spinning in the rims could have been the another explanation.

Kind of a silly presumption, it's just a weird feeling in the vehicle that I was hoping had a simple solution.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:02 AM
msquared

well.... Like i originally thought, it turns out to be a driveline issue. The motor hopefully will be fine. But my D35 grenaded all over the pavement. Put a gash in the cover. Fluid everywhere. Flat decked it to my parent's house.

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img][img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwAFA28XE5YggkdTxHAszXW5H7d3RvJ2RjP7u55hnrf7p*c*S C8lz4MJhVIWEAva1FHa4fnaQH696UuhRuhY*qKluRBpu7ivMG! FFeZysppifQwnQ8Z13w/IMG_3103.JPG[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img][img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwChAnAXWpYggkdTxHAszTV6fZtdxKw5oyoBZjQSSlL8V5J9Q I*OFnOrauuPy0gRxxqyAv6WMhVH!88oqDUCTJF6HQDun!cx6Mo Ti8!EUDd2*ytkrb0gcw/IMG_3113.JPG[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img][img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwCtAnAXW5YggkdTxHAszfxbTOmIJ54JQb3P8AidNdn78VYeG cbE*0414EAD!AcoLAu9eXGSNXoIQoVjFktFyAjOLM963MpY8!r SS9I*8iomqXH1xIuwfA/IMG_3122.JPG[/img]

Now... why would it have done this? The ring/pinion look fine. The spiders are buggered. The carrier itself has a crack right through the center of it. My girlfriend was driving it and said it made a horrific noise. It happened when starting out at a light. Thank god. And it happened in the city, 2 blocks from where I was, so I could take over to get the tow truck and she could take public transit to work...

The real question is, if I go and get another D35 to drop in for a couple hundred dollars, is this going just happen to the next one, due to lift, wheel/tires (15x8 steelies with 31x10.5 BFG's)????

Thanks all.

PS, My birthday is this weekend, I have a huge camping trip planned with many many friends. Looks like my folks will let me take their Pathfinder, but boy oh boy, am I choked!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Way Outta Control

Chances are it broke long before that, just hadn't exploded yet.

As far as tires slipping on the rims - I'd bet it's more of a common problem than everyone expects. Look at previous posts - big tires have a reputation for not staying in balance. Why? Does the rubber heavy spots actually move inside the tire? Sure, after many many miles they can slowly get out, but?
Seeing if the weights are still there means nothing - they usually stay put on the rim.
Put a small dot or mark on the tire opposite the valve stem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
msquared

So do you guys think this being partially broken before could have caused the 'backlash/hesistation' feeling with low torque input from the engine?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You may have chipped those teeth a while back and one finally got stuck between the ring gear and the pinion, or between the spiders, making it stop really really really fast...then the carrier gave way. This is not unusual for the D35.

Whatever you do. DO NOT PUT ANOTHER D35 under your Jeep. As you can see, they are only slightly stronger than glass.

Look for a D44. Or better yet a Ford 8.8 out of an exploder...much stonger and not super expensive to intall. Do a search on this board for 8.8, you will get lots of info. If you are interested I'll send you over a dozen or so write ups I've found on the web...I went with an 8.8 and am very happy with it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:47 AM
msquared

Please send me the write ups. I have half a dozen or so collected myself.

Doesn't the 8.8 have an offset pumpkin though? I have an RE 5.5, which worked out to 8" of lift. So naturally I have a CV shaft from Tom Woods. Would this be alright!?

Thanks!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It would be perfect. I went the other direction...when I put in the 8.8, I also did the R/E SYE and T/W CV shaft then.

The write up's I have cover YJ's and TJ's. Here are a few to get you started:

8.8 one

8.8 two
8.8 three

8.8 four

Let me know if you have any specific questions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode