Drive train problem on a YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Drive train problem on a YJ

We were wheeling at haspin yesterday and a fella in our group with a Yj set up really nice with lockers front and rear and 488's pretty much goes wherever he wants. He tries a mud hole and Boom jeep just stops. I thought he was just stuck, So I go bagk get his winch cable pulled and we get him out. Once out the jeep will not move. So imeadiately most of us think clutch. So he shifts it in and out of gear but it will not move, then it will shift in and out of gear while running without the use of the clutch. I thought something must be inside the cluch housing causing the cluch to not fully enguage as the cluch also felt hard to push. We took off the inspection plate and there did not seem to be any dirt inside. So I pull the Slave cyl for the cluch and found that it was leaking a bit. The clutch apeared to be enguaging as you coold see the plate move with the cover off. So we take it completly out of gear and find that the only way the driveshaft will turn is if the wheels are off the ground. or it is being pulled. When we start it up and put it in gear, the rear driveshaft turns until it takes out the slack then stops, Change to reverse and it goes back the other way same. While moving it to the front of the garage the wheels were locking up.

Any Ideas????

Almost acts like something is broke in the transfer case, Or It could still be a clutch?? Any sugestions would be appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 07:55 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Drive train problem on a YJ

btt
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Way Outta Control

1. I'm betting on a clutch problem.
2. But don't listen to me...
3. I don't know squat about clutches.
4. I wonder if it's hanging up,
5. And not fully engaging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
sheesley

I would have to say that teh weak link in teh T-case-I haven't seen many instantanious brake-downs on clutches. It could also be a shaft in teh tranny or stripped gears. I assume its in 4WD-or I would say it was thr spider gears in the rear. Sounds silly-but try moving the tCase shifter around and make sure its going through all the gears. I pulled my buddy out once and it did the same thing and his Tcase shifter was stuck in nuetral.

I think you could remove the inspection plate and see if teh clutch was rotating with the engine-then move back from there to the transmission and transfer case. Go through everything before dropping-then yank the Tcase and check the output shaft on the tranny-if that spins-go to the Tcase, pop it open for a visual and take a look at the chain and shifter etc...if its broken-it will be obvious.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

sheesley That is basicly what I had in mind. After a good nights sleep I am leaning twards t case. The T case shifter is shifting fine as is the tranny. I am going to look everything over again today in the shop and see if I have missed anything. If not I will pull the t-case and see where that puts us. I am leaning twards a broke shaft somewhere, But there is no odd noises or anything.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Bump
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Solution:::::

Dropped the tranny, the throw out berring had a bunch of crud around it causing it to move very erraticaly, and would barely return to reest. The clutch was worn unevenly and had a bunch of crud floating around in it. The slave was leaking.

So bunch of parts on order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode