Bikini Tops - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Randyg08

Bikini Tops

I thinking of getting a Binki top for my '00 Wrangler. However there seems to be tons of types and models. I was looking at the type that just covers the bucket seats. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with Bikini tops? Are they recommended? Where is the best place to buy one? Ebay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Bikini Tops

They're not a bad idea if you want to keep from getting sunburn and cut down on a little wind at highway speeds (when the top is down). I'm not sure about the cost ($40 maybe?), but you can buy them through quadratec.com.
Little tip from experience with a bikini top...
If it rains and the top pools up with water on top, don't push up on it from the underside to drain the water. You WILL get soaked!!! Just start the Jeep, SLOWLY accelerate forward (to about 10mph), and hit your brakes. It will all run down the front of your windshield, instead of on you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'd go with a Bestop. I have one on my YJ and wouldn't trade it for anything during the middle of summer. The first few weeks I run without it, but then it gets to be nice to have some shade after driving all day.

I'll ditto what beee said about the water pooling. I used to deliver pizzas with my Jeep and got caught in a rain storm. The Jeep was stopped for a while and it pooled up. I totally forgot about the water on top and it all poured onto the pizzas in the back(Not that they weren't wet from being in the rain, but they were in a bag). Needless to say, the pizzas were SOAKED. Funny part...I still got a tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Randyg08

Did your have the channel where you needed to drill?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 10:08 AM

When the windows got foggy and cracked I got a new soft top. Then I took the old one to an auto upholstery shop. They cut it off just behind the roll bar, put a dart in each corner by the roll bar, and sewed on some straps, using the old buckles from the back straps. Slightly grungy bikini top for $10.00.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Skip

Being cronologically gifted and folically impaired (old and bald) I love my bikini top. I bought the 1/2 top that uses the rail off a guy on a BBS for sale section. I just picked up a good soft top less windows and plan to cut it up to make a full safari type top for when I have the grandkids in back. Right now they like being in back with no top over them.
Ditto the water issue noted by others [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:28 PM

I vote on a full length safari top. Love the extra shade, also rear seat passengers especially kids need it. Had both, safari and bikini, prefer the safari. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 06:40 PM

I've got the Bestop bikini with the no-drill header. Really easy to "install", all it takes is a wrench. Toughest part is getting the bikini to stay on one side while I fasten the other... Great quality, nothing to complain about here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode