A painting trick - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

A painting trick

I have discovered that living in the great north east (salt belt) and rebuilding a Jeep, lead to a lot of hours painting, and repainting jeep parts.

I have come across a trick that has made the process easier, and I thought I would pass it on.

One of the most pain in the ##### things for me when painting is taping off the stuff that shouldn't get paint. And when you are trying to paint somthing that has a lot of in's, out's and details. Getting tape to stick and hold is ofter somthing that just doesn't happen.
I have recently discovered CLAY GASKET. What it is, is long strips of clay, in about 1/4" diamater. It comes in rolls, and is intended for sealing around windows and other small openings. Well it also works great for masking off places that tape won't work for.
Being that it is clay it can be spread, molded, and shaped easily. And it just pulls right off when you are finished.
The actual clay gasket can be found at home Depo and like places, and like I said is sold in very long rolls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: A painting trick

1. That's a good tip!
2. I've used grease/butter before,
3. Just spread it on what you don't want painted.
4. Don't do this on a hot day!
5. The paint just sits on the grease.
6. And of course won't stick.
7. Clean up is slicker'n snot.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:02 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Wrapping aluminum foil around things is a lot easier than taping them off sometimes too. Get the cheapy foil at the "Dollar Store" and such places - works great. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:34 PM
mojomoney

Another thing that can be used as masking is Elmer's Glue. Just spead it on thick, let it dry, trim it to fit. It will then pull off easily after painting. This works best for small areas with lots of detail. I used to use it for painting models and radio controlled cars. I imagine that if you had a bucket of the stuff and a brush it would work nicely on a Jeep too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 02:33 PM

Thanks, These are all great tips,,,,,,,I like this kind of stuff [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

There are liquid brush on masks available. I can't make any personal testimonials as I've never used them.

The problem I see with the other methods is that the mask needs to be removed before the paint dries to get a good separation line.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:47 PM

I guess I'll add one of my favorite secret painting tips to this.

Rubber molding trim.....like what you see on CJ windshields....is really a PITA to tape good without getting paint on the black rubber or missing spots on the body. ( not to mention the first time you have to move the rubber to do something like change the glass.......and you rip the paint back with the rubber) The trick is to take (I like "airshock" nylon line or "oil pressure guage" nylon line) and run it underneath the edge of it and back about an eighth an inch. This way it makes taping easier because the whole thing is raised and also does a better job since the paint will be blown under the seal area and gets covered up. Makes a top notch job. It's actually what all the good shops do around me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode