green metallic paint......bad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

green metallic paint......bad

So my t176 has gotten to where i cant shift into second even if i double clutch it, and third is on and off again. I decide to change the gear oil to see if this helps and what do i find, it looks like a green metallic flake paint. there was alot of shavings in it. I now have to decide what to do. I'm leaning towards putting a sm420 or sm465 into there since i already have the chevy motor and the gearing would be alot lower. Does anybody make just the stub shaft adapters without the the rest of the adapter? i'm pretty confident i can make my own for the rest of it. or does anyone know where a cheap adapter kit is avaible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 06:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: green metallic paint......bad

Both of those Tran will work really well for you. They are both very strong. If you are thinking of the SM420 be sure to look for a later model. As some of the very early ones don't have a reverse light switch. (not an issue for a trail only Jeep)
As you probably know novak makes a kit for the SM456, or 420 to mate to the D300 (great Kit, I put mine in a few weeks ago) You have two options. You can replace the Mainshaft of the trans so that the input splines will mate to your D300. This makes for a stronger set up as the SM465 only has a 10 spline output. However this is the harder of the two, You have to take all the stuff off the mainshaft and put it on the new one. Don't even try this if you don't have a shop press.
The other method is to convert the D300 to a 10 spline input. The D300 is pretty easy to take apart. And you still end up with a pretty strong set up. The D300 input replacement is cheaper than the mainshaft.
All and all the set up is a good one and the low first gear is pretty useful in a trail jeep.
Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode