amc 20 questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

amc 20 questions

I have a 79cj5 narrowtrack, and was wondering what everyones thoughts were about keeping it or replacing it. If I were to keep it what should I do for the 30 in the front? Also kinda worried about the whole narrowtrack thing is anyone running them and do they like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 04:29 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: amc 20 questions

As with almost anything else, it depends on what you want to do with your Jee p. I am running narrows with mild lift and agressive 31" tires. I get by pretty well. The 20 can be strong with some inprovements such as one piece axles. The 30 will hold up to some abuse, and larger tires, but may fail with too much of the skinny pedal in sticky situations.

I plan on updating my narrow track axles, mostly for stability and so if I run larger tires in the future, I can retain some turning radius. I have lots of friends who get by with the 20 and 30 and 35" tires, and little breakage. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:45 AM

Im running 33" swampers on 83 widetrack axles. I went to the widetrack for stability, plus my buddy had a set that he was getting rid of. The 20 has one piece axles and a lockrite in it. The 30 is open. They have held up well, as I do tend to give em hell sometimes. (I think having the front open has saved it) Both axles have been trussed (the rear heavily). I am planning on keeping the 20 that I have, because the case is made out of nodular iron and it has been trussed well, but I have a waggy 44 that I will put in up front when I go to 36's [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the replys, im running 36s right now but not doing much wheeling due to my axles being so weak, i wanted to get some ideas before i started to sink my money into the ones i got. I need to change my gears too so i wanted to know what to do with the front. I need all the help i can get, working wtih a college budget.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 07:27 PM

I have a '78 that started life with that combination, and has 31' tires. After 20-some years I shucked some teeth off the 30 ring gear trying to back uphill out of a ditch. I replaced it with a 44 that I narrowed to just about 2" wider than narrow track. The reason I didn't go wider is that I usually run in woods, and it's regularly street-driven so I don't plan to use bigger tires, and narrow is often an advantage squeezing between trees.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:38 PM

It all depends the type of wheeling you do and how hard you are on the stupid pedal/ when you give up. I have a yj on 35's with the stock 30/35 and it's survived some snow wheeling (lots of axle hop) and 2 days at the badlands so far on the stock axles. I do have a full set of spare axle shafts and know how to change them. If you are wondering how much your axles can take save up some cash for spare parts go beat on the jeep and see what it takes and what lets loose and go from there.

If you are just playing in the mud I'd throw a set of 1 piece shafts in the rear and go from there. Might not be a bad idea too look around for a set of wide track axles that have allready been upgraded (1 piece rears, lower gears, lockers) from some one that is swapping them out and put them in your rig. I will probably wait to upgrade my axles for a while since i know i can make them last if i take it easy, other things on my jeep need work first (bandaided trans that should be swapped out for a 4 speed), and spare axles are cheep and easier to change than other parts.

I'm also a college student and on a real tight jeep building budget. Axle swaps are really expensive and time consuming no mater how cheep you think you can do them it takes a lot to do them right. I tried to swap a d44 into the front of my old tj in highschool, not the easiest swap in the world as far as axle swaps go. It was a nightmear, it cost and took a lot more time than i ever expected.

Think this out long and hard. Wheel with people that know their stuff not just a bunch of kids that don't know jack (I'm not saying some "kids" don't know their stuff but if the people you wheel with are anything like the people i wheel with at school they don't know much more about building on rigs than bolting on lifts and lights). Wheeling and listening to people that know what they are doing and have been wheeling for the better part of your life will really help you build your jeep the "right way". Find a good club and some "mentors" in your area to give you guidance. They will have a much better idea of how you wheel and what works in your area. I know i wouldn't know 1/2 as much as i do know now if it wasn't for the people on this board and the "locals" I have learned from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode