locker problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

locker problems

I'm having big drivability issues with my no slip locker.

The symptoms: its behavior is erratic so it is hard to describe
1. When I start out it has a tendency to pull to the right.
2. if I'm coasting at 5 mph and apply the gas pedal it will turn the jeep abruptly a few degrees, but it is enough that it scares the passengers.
3. I don't here it clicking but I can here it "clang" every once in a while.
4. If I'm coasting on the freeway (50-60 mph) then apply gas the jeep will try to change lanes.
5. when I make a left turn and apply the throttle after the apex of the corner the locker is driving the outer wheel not the inner wheel, more throttle causes the jeep to turn more left. almost fun but it dosn't act teh same way for right turns.

I have already swapped tires around trying to put 2 similar size tires and finally ended up buying brand new tires. And still have problems.

I've looked at the positrax Trouble shooting guide, but ther resoultion of this type of problem is rather nebulous.

of which are bent axles or housing.

so how do i check my housing and axles. I had the axles out and they looked fine.

help me out. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

Re: locker problems

Your locker is most likely broken. If you take it apart, you will find that the synchronizer ring is broken. I've seen this problem in Dana 44 No Slip applications. I installed one and it broke as the customer pulled out of my driveway. Powertrax called it an installation error, but there is only one way to put it in. It took a while, but we were finally able to get PowerTrax to warranty the locker.

Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks peteyg. I'll give it a look, you know that with a ford nine you have to disassemble the whole thing just to look. so that sucks.

and there is no chance of a warranty on this guy. maybe just some bad news for the guy that sold the axle to me.

mearacing sells a complete third member with detroit for $650. not to bad seeing that the locals charge $300 for gear set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

I got an ARB. my jeep drives much better. I still haven't opened the old carrier up to see whats up with the no slip. but I can see the teath and I don't see any chunks hanging out..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:41 AM

Speed buggy the description of your issues in your original post is to the T the same issues i had in my YJ when I installed the lockers. I pulld and repulled the things to no avail there were no problems with them.
So the last time I pulld them i installed ARB's front and rear.

Thats the best thing I ever did no issues at all.

I was told ,(and i believe it) that a combo of the short wheel base, light vehicle, large tires, and narrow track greatly exagerate the locker characteristics. Some people get used to it and then some don't. I didn't so I got rid of them. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Except for number three on your list, all sounds about right for how a locker acts on the street.... afterall it wasn't made for street driving.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

I have to say, when you are right you are right. the ARB is great. but it was $money$

but I've got to say that I'm not being a Nancy, it drove like crap with the no slip. And yes the symptoms are normal, but they were pronounced.

my buddy had a 89yj with a Detroit and a 350 with a 4 speed, he still has the YJ but he has gone full width, I let him drive it to get his opinion and He said that the locker was broken and if I drove it like that it would kill me. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] He was still trying to convince me that a Detroit would be better.

I went with the ARB because i think it will be better in the snow. And I do like to unlock on off camber lose stuff.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

I have a detroit locker in the rear of my jeep. I have the same symptoms as yoy described. It was kind of scarey at first but now it is not even noticeable . I guess Ii am used to it. You will also get used to it . [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

no I wont. I got ARB in there now. and my stuff was broke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode