measuring for custom axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:04 PM
bamacj7

measuring for custom axles

I need some instructions on how to measure my housing for custom length axles.The housing is a front dana 44 from a scout, with the long side narrowed a bit. The ring and pinion are set up in the housing. Do I just measure from the inside of the splines on my locker to where the u-joints should be? Or is there more to it.Thanks for any help. Joe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: measuring for custom axles

Here is how I do it...
You know that the axle turns on the ball joints, so I take the tape rule and shove it in the axle tube untill I see it hit the center pin of the diff. I measure to the center of between the ball joints. This only works on open diffs, but I usually dump an old diff into the housing to make the measurment. I just ordered chromoly shafts for my front d-44 and I was able to order off the shelf ones and cut them down a tiny bit rather than spend the $$$ on custom lengths.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:12 AM
bamacj7

I am using a full spool in the front, dont know why I called it a locker above.So no center pin. I will measure from the inside of the splines to the center of the nuckles on the short side, then check my measurments against the short axle to see if this will work for me. Thanks for the reply. Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:37 AM

Since you're getting custom shafts, why don't you ask the shaft shop what measurement they want?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 09:27 AM
bamacj7

I have talked to moser, but I couldnt make the guy on the phone understand that the housing was narrowed. I know how to measure axles for replacement, but not the housing for custom length axles. I am going to call currie later today and see if they can help me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Way Outta Control

1. There are some constants, <ul type="square">[*]The diff width.[*]Wheel flange/brake backplate assembly.[/list]2. The difference is the length of the axle tubes.
4. IMHO... measure: <ul type="square">[*]Distnace from WMS to WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface)[*]Length of EACH tube (unless it's a centered diff).[/list]5. May I suggest reading Measuring Axle Width, in PDF format.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:11 PM
bamacj7

Thanks Leve, that link made me feel better about my measurements. This is what I am going with.I am going to use the short side as a trial. I will measure from the back of of the splines on the spool to the center of the nuckles, then measure the shotr axle and see if I get the same numbers. If so I will go that route with the long side. Thanks for all the help. Joe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode