Kinda O/T: Value of 79 Quadratrac Waggy drivetrain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Kinda O/T: Value of 79 Quadratrac Waggy drivetrain

Just came into a very cheap 360 for the motorless J-20; came from a '79 Wagoneer.

Rest of the drivetrain (AT & T/C) came attached. (Have not looked at t/c close enough to see if 1 or 2 speed yet - Easy to tell the difference? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] How? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] )

My research tells me I have a TurboHydromatic 400 and the Borg Warner 1339 (1 or 2 spd). Are these pieces worth much of anything, or basically 'dime a dozen'? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
(My 'clutter' is reaching the saturation point... or at least my wife's tolerance point! [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Kinda O/T: Value of 79 Quadratrac Waggy drivetrain

Sorry don't know...

But.....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(My 'clutter' is reaching the saturation point... or at least my wife's tolerance point! )

[/ QUOTE ]

Geeze never had that problem. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

HOLY COW!.. another rig in the yard??!!?
the th400, while amongst the strongest auto's ever made, are worthless.. they only bolt to THAT x-fer case, and most folks don't like the q-track at all.
if its a 1 speed, there will not be a lever on the floor (tranny hump of under the drivers seat) and there will be an inspection cover on the rear of the case.(big cover, at least 6"diameter) If it has 2 speeds, look for the t-case shifter on the tranny hump (small lever) and the rear of the case will have the gear reduction unit bolted on... as I recall, it has a smal inspection cover on the back, but its been years since I've even looked at one.
I hate them because I could never keep a chain in one with the 360. they stretch and are ren [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]dered useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Re: Kinda O/T: Value of 79 Quadratrac Waggy drivet

I paid $200 for my '79 Cherokee Chieften...complete without rust and blown t-case and tranny.

I got $150 for the 360 when I sold it, and I still have the axles, springs and rolling frame, and I kept the York for myself.

Honestly, I figure if you can give the tranny and t-case away so you don't have to pay to dump it, you are doing good.

Of course, that is my humble .02 worth!

Good luck, and let us know how you do!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

HOLY COW!.. another rig in the yard??!!?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Chris... not another rig... just the engine, tranny and T/C - sitting in the back of the p-u truck. One of your bro's over at HMX-1 had it sitting in the back of his J-10 for the last year and finally decided he did not 'need' it any longer. (Actually, I think it was his wife who decided he didn't need the J-10 any longer, and thus it followed that a replacement drivetrain was no longer needed either.)

As well, the only way I was able to get my wife to accept another engine in residence here was the price: $0.

It appears then, "keep the engine" and to the dump (or wherever) w/ the 400 &amp; Q/T? Somehow I knew they were not worth the gas it took to cart them home. I'll not waste any degreaser on them either.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:53 AM
Official Historian

If shipping isn't outragous, I'd like to have the transfer case if it has the low range. FYI, the single speed is a BW 1305 and the low range version is the BW 1339. I get about 40k + miles out of a chain with a 360 in front of it. Those at the bash know I don't baby it either.

Top pictures here show the single speed, the three below show the 2 speed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:25 AM

Take the parts over to the http://www.ifsja.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi bbs. They are the full size jeep guys. Might find a buyer over there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

If shipping isn't outragous, I'd like to have the transfer case if it has the low range.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problemo Will. I'll check today and see if I can tell what it is - 1 or 2 spd. UPDATE on Thurs, 3 Jun 03 @ 13:20 EDT: Sorry Will, looks like this one does NOT have low range.

Shipping may not be a problem - the Scrambler Owners Assn is having their annual National Scramble in Hot Springs next weekend, 11-13 June. If you can get down there to pick it up, I'm pretty sure I can get it to one of the guys from Richmond that's headed out there. Sound like a plan?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:20 PM

i also have a th400 and quadratrac that came in my 78 cj7. i wanted to eventually run a dana 300 x-fer case so would that mean i would need a new tranny? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Cain

Don't think you do, have a look here

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/th400.htm

I havn't had a look myself, but Somone recomended them to me when i was thinking of a change!

Cain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode