O/T BrewPubs in Anchorage AK - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T BrewPubs in Anchorage AK

CJ5 pilot...I think you are the only one up there checking in regular, but in case anyone else is lurking....

The lovely Jeep Wife and I will be in Anchorage for about 24 hours later this month...Gonna have to find dinner one night and lunch the next (if we don't do a Denali flyover).

Was looking on line at Brew Pubs...can you recomend any of these or recomend against any of them? Do they have decent food...is their beer actually something someone might want to drink...

Glacier Brewhouse on W. 5th

Sleeping Lady/Snow Goose on W. 3rd

Borealis brewing on Shipwreck

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 03:17 PM

Re: O/T BrewPubs in Anchorage AK

I really like the Glacier Brewhouse. Good food and good brews. My favorite of the brewhouse type easily. They have a nice selection of brews.

Snow Goose is reported to be good, but I haven't eaten there myself.

If you don't have your heart set on a brew pub, the Sourdough Mining Company is a neat "touristy" restaurant. They serve a few brewskis, and make a absolutely killer baby back rib. They have a set of fans all run off a single motor with giant belts. A real mining camp theme to the place.

Sullivan's steakhouse is good, but pricey.

There is also an Outback, a Sea Galley, a Pepper Mill, and a Bennihannas among others. Twin Dragons does a great Mongolian BBQ.

BTW, for a bottled "Alaskan" brew try Alaskan Amber.

If you need directions to any of these places, let me know.

If you had more than 24 hours in Anchorage I'd invite you two out to the Valley and throw a couple steaks on the BBQ. Alaska is tough to see in just a day! Are you taking a cruise or laying over on a flight?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I really like the Glacier Brewhouse. Good food and good brews. My favorite of the brewhouse type easily.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I guess we will make this dinner.
On a side note, "The Brewery Brewpub" in Wasilla, I was told this had closed...got a friend that would love to hear that it's still open, know anything about it?

If you don't have your heart set on a brew pub, the Sourdough Mining Company is a neat "touristy" restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we are gonna be Tourons...but I try to avoid touristy...:-)

There is also an Outback, a Sea Galley, a Pepper Mill, and a Bennihannas among others.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can get most of those here...While on vacation we really do try to hunt out microbrew/brewpubs...kind of like hunting...only not with a gun...but with a glass...(I have hundreds of pint glasses from all over the world).

BTW, for a bottled "Alaskan" brew try Alaskan Amber.

[/ QUOTE ] One of my top 10 beers of all time...got to visit the brewery when we were in Juneau a couple of years ago...(did a tour of the IP, visited Haines brewing, Scagway brewing and Ketchican Brewing...I think all of them are closed now...[what have I done...?])

If you need directions to any of these places, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I can find my way around...were staying at the Sheraton and both the Wild Goose and Glacier look to be about a mile away. I'm also assuming that Anchorage has taxi's...

If you had more than 24 hours in Anchorage I'd invite you two out to the Valley and throw a couple steaks on the BBQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish we did...but this trip is already really long. Lovely Jeep Wife wants to do Denali for 2 weeks, camping and hiking...maybe in another 2 years.

Alaska is tough to see in just a day! Are you taking a cruise or laying over on a flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

We are catching a Cruise West boat in Anchorage and heading out the Elutians then up into the Bering and up to the Pribilofs then on to the Arctic Circle. Get to cross the Arctic circle and the International Date Line at the same time, on the Summer Solstice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

Lovely Jeep Wife wants to do Denali for 2 weeks, camping and hiking...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! I'm impressed... and green w/ envy. Where'd you find such a gal? My Jeep Wife has a fairly narrow comfort range that includes regular showers, A/C or heat (as appropriate), and relatively comfy environs. Nonetheless, she's mine, ALL MINE! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:49 PM

On a side note, "The Brewery Brewpub" in Wasilla, I was told this had closed...got a friend that would love to hear that it's still open, know anything about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...not sure....never heard of it. I've only lived in Wasilla for two years...before that was twenty odd years on the Kenai Peninsula with a winter in Fairbanks (shudder) thrown in for variety. I'll ask around.

One of my top 10 beers of all time...got to visit the brewery when we were in Juneau a couple of years ago...(did a tour of the IP, visited Haines brewing, Scagway brewing and Ketchican Brewing...I think all of them are closed now...[what have I done...?])

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a small brewery in Homer that does a good Amber as well. Used to get it at a restaurant in Kenai on tap.

Have you tried any of the Rogue Brewery beers out of Oregon? Their Shakespeare stout is just about thick enough to stand a spoon in it. They have a supposedly company owned pub in Newport Washington. I saw it last time I was through (Feb of '99) but didn't go there...wife and I had a quiet dinner and watched the storm waves crashing on the beach....

Think I can find my way around...were staying at the Sheraton and both the Wild Goose and Glacier look to be about a mile away. I'm also assuming that Anchorage has taxi's...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep Anchorage has taxis...even electricity and running water! (I'll have to tell you about the time I honestly had a girl from outside ask me if we really did use dog teams to get around in the winter....) LOL!

The Sheraton is in easy walking distance of both. You will be right in the pattern for Merrill field depending on the wind. Where else can you look out of your window at a posh hotel and watch a Super Cub on final? Downtown Anchorage is a nice area, but be careful of straying too far toward the Knik Arm late at night. I won't say it's rough like LA or Chicago or New York can be rough, but 4th Ave over is where the "ladies of questionable virtue" and their handlers hang out in the late night. I spent a lot of time in that area a couple of years ago when I was on a Federal Jury (the federal courthouse is on 7th Ave). I was given the same warning, so I am passing it on.

Wish we did...but this trip is already really long. Lovely Jeep Wife wants to do Denali for 2 weeks, camping and hiking...maybe in another 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Denali is beautiful, but I tend to stay out of the park....I like to carry Thumper (my 629 Smith) when I'm out and about, and they don't allow that in the park. When I need a Denali fix, I either fly over it (nice part about being a pilot....Talkeetna is a nice, close airfield) or drive in "the backdoor". That would be Petersville road. A road to an old mining area that is great for a Jeep. I've got some pics of Mt. McKinley from that side if I look around a bit It's a beautiful area.

There is a lot of wildlife in the park, so make sure you pack a camera. There is some spectacular scenery as well.

Can you tell I love my state? Heck, not this weekend but next I will be at Landmark Gap lake near Paxton (deep interior). I plan to drive up from here while a buddy drives down from Fairbanks. We will meet on the Denali Highway and pack our camp and his canoe in. The lake has grayling and lake trout. I fished there a couple of years ago during a thunderstorm when I realized I was fishing with a 9' piece of graphite while lightning crashed on the peaks around me.....not the brightest thing in the world to do....LOL!

We are catching a Cruise West boat in Anchorage and heading out the Elutians then up into the Bering and up to the Pribilofs then on to the Arctic Circle. Get to cross the Arctic circle and the International Date Line at the same time, on the Summer Solstice...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a blast. I'm sure you will have a great time. (BTW, I spent Memorial Day weekend in Seward stripping and repainting a friends 40' wood boat [ex-trawler converted for fun] to sort of 'pay' for my annual Silver Salmon fishing trip in Ressurection Bay) Have fun, and please holler if you have any more Alaska type questions!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wow! I'm impressed... and green w/ envy. Where'd you find such a gal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was dating a friend of hers...My girlfriend at the time had no stomach for Willis/Schwartzenager/Segal/VanDamm movies...And she thought Camping meant the Holiday Inn with a black and white television...Since The Lovely Jeep Wife DOES like these kinds of movies and actual camping on the ground in a tent...When it came time for my annual trip to the Gauley river the Girlfriend stayed at home and TLJW became a road trip buddy. When the GF and I parted ways TLJW and I stayed friends...Still are...

Have you tried any of the Rogue Brewery beers out of Oregon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale (with a hint of caramel and chocolate) is a favorite. They also have a brewpub in SanFran down town on Union.

Where else can you look out of your window at a posh hotel and watch a Super Cub on final?

[/ QUOTE ]
Though not in a Super Cub the best landings to watch were at the old Hong Kong airport...it was in the middle of town. As you came in for final you were sure that the wing tips were gonna scrape office and apartment high rises...

so make sure you pack a camera.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a part of the reason for the trip...When we did the 10 day of the Inside Passage...I took something like 40 rolls of film...My Sister-In-Law, stated that South East Alaska could now fall in the ocean and we could rebuild it...I had it well documented...:-) I'm fully digital now so it will be easier to get them up on the website...will post them when I get back.

My buddy said that the "Brewery Brewpub" was on Boundry either the 200 or 300 block in Wasilla...When he was driving a cruise ship a couple of years ago, they would have 2-3 overnights in Anchorage every 6-8 days so he had a crash pad up in Wasilla. Said he ate most every meal at the Brewpub. He does the Bahamas now...said he really enjoys the weather and sceanery more...swimsuits over polypro anytime...:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode