Yet another TJ with an auto full of water. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Yet another TJ with an auto full of water.

Well, I did it finally. Hit a hole that was a bit too deep. started to drive out of the hole when i heard a terrible whining sound and then nothing but slippage. I had the rig towed back to camp where i dropped the pan and drained and flushed it twice untill i saw no trace of water. I had to drive it home 100 miles. Im amazed that it still works. My question, is has anyone filled one of these full of water and then still had it continue to work? or is it just clicking like a time bomb waiting to die? I thought about getting it power flushed and running it but i figure if its going to mess it up worse i'll just get it rebuilt now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Yet another TJ with an auto full of water.

My tf999 in my CJ took on 3 drinks of water, drove it home all 3 times, about an hour drive. I would just get it flushed then change the screen and it was good to go again. Never had a problem. I have see other rigs not make it out of the trail. Not sure why mine lasted but it did. After the third time though, i got tired of the hassle and had the tranny built with some goodies, and did the vent relocate. I'm not totally satisfied with the vent relocate, but i deal with it. It spits way toooo much fluid out and seems to raise the fluid level. When you have the fluid level correct it doesnt spit anymore, but you cant climb hills cause it runs out of oil. Hopefully Leve reads this post and gives you some more info and maybe hell give me some info. I've done a number of different things and nothing has worked for me yet. I deal with it though, cause i know Ford power isnt far off in the future.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Old Hand

When I sunk mine it was done for. Fluid looked like melted strawberry ice cream. Changing the fluid did nothing. It would not budge. I was stuck up to my doors for a while. Gas pedal was under water.
Total rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I was the same way, My gas pedal was under water. It drove about 10 feet and the filter clogged with mud and that was that. Once I got her back to camp though and drained and flushed it as best I could it just seemed to work. The kick down is acting a bit funny but that may be due to my alternator being taken out at the same time so it was running on battery power alone (and not much of that) so it wasnt getting full power. Maybe i'll take her down and get her power flushed and see how long she goes. I just dont want to have to buy a new transmission due to stupidity.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 PM

I cooked 2 of em filling them with water. Get the vent mod done now before you somke it for good. Take it to a reputable trans shop have them give it a look see and do the vent mod they should be able to tell if you smoked it or not since they have to disassemble it to do the vent mod.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Yet another TJ with an auto full of water. Update.

Well, after a good flushing and a bit of driving it appears that the transmission is working just fine so far. All I can do is hope that it continues to do so. With a little luck and some crossed fingers hopefully it wont need rebuilt any time soon. Now to fix my bent draglink. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Dex
Old Hand

I did the same thing but it was a '76 blazer with a turbo 350. at the ends of those vents are somesort of check valve,(that dont work),so i drilled hole behind the seat and added extra line underniegth, for play room then connected it to pvc pipe at the floor and ran it another foot then at that end added an elboe so that nothing would drain straight in the pipe.and for the drag link, i kinda horse shoed it in woods on a stump,i was making my own road that day, long story how i got toe-in adjusted only enough to get it home. so i bought another drag link (70$)i think it was back then, then bent that one, so i took it off and took it to work and straightened it on a big press in the shop. i ended up doing the same with my axle vents. im not writing a news paper here just trying to express the fix i did.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, it made it a whole three weeks before hitting the crapper. I was starting to get my hopes up too. Now it does nothing but slip.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:56 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm not totally satisfied with the vent relocate, but i deal with it. It spits way toooo much fluid out and seems to raise the fluid level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim where did you relocate the vent and how did you seal the original?

I ask this because I just did this witn my Tf999. I dont seem to have that problem ,,, yet any way, still need to get it out and put it in some extreme positions, to hot right now.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Jim where did you relocate the vent and how did you seal the original?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be totally honest, i didnt do any of the work on the trans. I didnt even pull it or put it back in. If i remember right he tapped the orginal vent and put a pipe plug in it. And the new vent is on top of the trans. I have no problems at all while wheeling. Its when i run the CJ down the road that is spits fluid out the vent.

Once it spits enough fluid out then it will stop spitting.

To be able to go hill climbing you have to overfill the trans. But before the vent i never had to overfill it. Something is making more pressure which is rasing the fluild level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode