CJ7/YJ windshield frame question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

CJ7/YJ windshield frame question

The windshield frame on my CJ7 is pretty well toast, and so are all the ones I can find locally. My question is will a YJ windshield frame work, or are there issues. New CJ frames aren't overly expensive, until you factor in shipping them to Alaska....LOL! That's why I was wondering if I could use a YJ frame and find one locally.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 07:59 PM

Re: CJ7/YJ windshield frame question

I'm swapping a YJ tub onto my jeep soon, I had a CJ windsheild frame and it line up on the Yj tub just fine but everyone told me it would not work correctly with the YJ top and doors. So, I buy a new YJ frame and measure it against the CJ frame in every way I could, The only difference is that the YJ frame is a hair less then 1/2" wider at the very top of the frame(a 1/4" on each side). If I would have known this, I would have just used the CJ frame and saved 150 bucks. I could be missing something but I can't see any other difference .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Official Curmudgeon

YJ windshield could work fine on a CJ in Hawaii but not Alaska. I believe you'll find the YJ frame has no provisions for defrosters, I think it comes through the dash on those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll skip trying to make a YJ frame work (the 1/2" at the top makes a big difference with a hardtop and no defrosters would be a bear!). If I can't find a decent CJ frame locally, I'll bite the bullet and order one up. Maybe I can just send it to Seattle and have our freight consolidator send it up on one of our regular trucks....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Addict

CJ5-Pilot, not sure if it's feasible but I have a stock CJ windshield frame that is definitely usuable. It has some rust under the bottom gasket but it still looks pretty good and is usuable. I can dig it out and send some pics if interested. I'll also weigh and measure it to help determine shipping from 08205. Email me at [email protected] if interested.
Regards,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought i replied to this post last night, but opps.

Anyway, defrosters are easy, just drill and slot some holes, in the bottom of the frame and where the CJ defrosters mount. For the top, i would doubt it would be a problem, there are plenty of guys running CJ tops on wranglers and vise-versa and no body complains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode